Price range for a 2006, 185k miles, no rust and well maintained with records? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im looking to join the community officially with a GX and curious of the current price range. I have one in particular Im interested in.

Non nav with aftermarket head unit, decent sound system.
Airbag suspension conversion to coils already complete.
Has the infamous ticking exhaust leak.
TB and WP changed at 170 k

Thanks!

i would expect between 12-17 depending on where it is. here in michigan it would be around 12. in arizona probably closer to 17.

About a month and a half ago I paid 16k for my Non-Nav 06 470.

More rust than I anticipated but nothing too concerning.
Sitting alittle over 131k miles when I bought it. Fully stock. TB and WB done.

The exhaust leak is a very time consuming job (if the exhaust manifolds have to come off). Id look at a different one unless you can get a deal.

I got a stock, no navi, 2004 w/ just about 175K miles, in New Jersey for $9,995 + taxes, fees, etc - just about a year ago.

Get receipts of the parts and labor for that job if you can because if that timing belt goes your hosed! Ask if they also did the thermostat and all the pulleys? If not you'll likely have to do all those soon as well. If you know where the work got done and have the receipt maybe they will warranty the job at some capacity- if you have issues and can prove the work was done there.

I did not have receipts or verbal confirmation for these services at my time of purchase so I went and had them done at around 180k because I didn't want to risk it. I suspected that it was probably due for one which is why they had sold it - not a cheap job! But Better safe than sorry.

I would try to find one with no exhaust leak as well unless you have early plans to redo the system If you do still go for it, try to use it as leverage to lower the price.

I got a stock, no navi, 2004 w/ just about 175K miles, in New Jersey for $9,995 + taxes, fees, etc - just about a year ago.

Get receipts of the parts and labor for that job if you can because if that timing belt goes your hosed! Ask if they also did the thermostat and all the pulleys? If not you'll likely have to do all those soon as well. If you know where the work got done and have the receipt maybe they will warranty the job at some capacity- if you have issues and can prove the work was done there.

I did not have receipts or verbal confirmation for these services at my time of purchase so I went and had them done at around 180k because I didn't want to risk it. I suspected that it was probably due for one which is why they had sold it - not a cheap job! But Better safe than sorry.

I would try to find one with no exhaust leak as well unless you have early plans to redo the system If you do still go for it, try to use it as leverage to lower the price.
Not sure why but I thought our engines were non-interference engines. Dang.

Edit, supposedly pre-VVVTi are non-interference.

Last edited:
I hear ya on the exhaust leak. Wouldnt look forward to tackling it., but was considering the Doug Thorley short tube route if I do. Whats the price hit if I decide that?

Headers are around $1K for parts ($8-900 for hears, plus gaskets/hardware). Labor will easily be $1K as it's legitimately a 10-12 hour job for someone who has done it before. It's not a cheap upgrade but worth it for the power and never having to worry about ticking exhaust again. New OEM Toyota manifolds will cost the same (if not more) to buy and install, and they'll also break and tick in the future. DT headers are way better built and shouldn't crack like the OEM manifolds. It will be hard to negotiate a cheaper price based on ticking manifolds as it's a given for any GX....just something you need to budget around.

For the T-Belt, if there is any doubt look at the bolts that hold timing cover on. I had a sticker under the hood but no receipt (the online Lexus history showed the water pump being done but didn't say the T-belt, although both would be done at the same time). In looking at the bolts they had marks from being taken off before, clearly indicating the T-belt had been swapped.

For the T-Belt, if there is any doubt look at the bolts that hold timing cover on. I had a sticker under the hood but no receipt (the online Lexus history showed the water pump being done but didn't say the T-belt, although both would be done at the same time). In looking at the bolts they had marks from being taken off before, clearly indicating the T-belt had been swapped.
One thought, marks on those bolts are a decent indicator, but may not be foolproof. On my 100 series I had to take the timing cover off to change the fan clutch bracket (not sure if it's the same on the GX).

One thought, marks on those bolts are a decent indicator, but may not be foolproof. On my 100 series I had to take the timing cover off to change the fan clutch bracket (not sure if it's the same on the GX).
True, but in a situation where you have some other documentation (sticker or receipt), also having the marks on the bolts provides another line of evidence that the T-belt has been replaced. I wouldn't use the bolt marks on their own with no other documentation.

I helped a friend look at a '02 Tundra with zero documentation and the bolts were pristine - indicating that the T-belt had not been replaced. So it can give you a false positive but probably not a false negative.

With the current market starting to turn rather quickly I was looking for others thoughts on Gx pricing. I really want to get back in to a GX but am fearful of over paying at this point. Found one that was very well maintained and will be in need of its second timing belt here soon. It's a 2008 with about 185k on it and they are asking 15k. I feel the older body on frame Lexus and Toyotas may weather the turn and hold their value, but also am hesitant that it could also be worth 8-9k in less than a year.
Looking for thoughts on the GX holding its value through this crazy time to buy a vehicle.
I know this is an older thread but felt this question fit here.

When in doubt, wait.

I've never had to hesitate when I knew it was a great deal. The other point is you don't need one, if you don't need it why would you ever think of overpaying? Real estate is crashing, the stock market is crashing, gas is not cheap and may go up. Used cars are starting to go down. I don't see anything that would cause used gas guzzlers to go up in price.

Saying that I love my GX460, I bought it two years ago. Would I buy it today? NO. I would wait.

Not sure why but I thought our engines were non-interference engines. Dang.

Edit, supposedly pre-VVVTi are non-interference.
Your edit is correct and the VVTi ones are only ‘interference’ when in the higher rpm cam lobe of VVTi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom