Pre-Purchase Inspection? Who has used a 3rd party mechanic to do this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sold on the 2010 - 2013 body style as my favorite and ready to make a purchase in the next couple of weeks. I do about 20k-25k miles per year and this is my only vehicle so I need to make sure that I'm buying something safe and reliable. I've considered buying a Durango and Expedition but I really want the reliability that the GX is known for. I've found a couple in high teens/low $20s with under 100k on them. I've never done a pre-purchase inspection on any vehicle that I've purchased. I think it might make sense just given the age and potential for rust. Have any of you ever made a request during the buying process (from a large dealer) that you'd like to have your mechanic look over the vehicle? How'd you go about it? When in the buying process did you request it and how did you leverage it in the negotiation process.

Any advice would be appreciated!

There are 3rd party companies that specialize in this, you can order over the web. Dealers are used to it. I did one way back in '05 when purchasing an Avalon in Houston.

Always.

I buy a fair amount of vehicles from out of town sight unseen. This is a very common thing and a good way to spend $200.

I've had good luck with mobile PPI guys. Just start googling for them around the city you're in (or shopping in) and get em on the phone.

You should know the hot spots you want them to check out (rust, interior condition, etc) before you send them in. So do you research and then send them to work for you.

Thank you both for your replies.

I've never really considered buying a vehicle outside of my immediate area. With that said, there are only three 2010-2013 GX460s that meet my criteria within 50 miles from Boston. Think I may need to expand my search, especially to mitigate risk due to being in a rust belt region. Any advice where to look? Assuming down south.

I am planning selling my Touareg privately but did consider trading out of convenience. I will have to finance this next vehicle, even if $20k, until I get my Touareg sold. I know its common to ship a vehicle as well. Any recommendations buying sight unseen (other than sending a 3rd party to inspect)?

I'm in Detroit and I like shopping in TN and KY. Not too far, usually pretty clean. But NC, SC, GA should all be in your scope.

That said, I've bought from California and Texas many times as well. Gonna eat anohter $1200 in shipping, but for a clean chassis - that might be worth it.

I live in NW Florida and buy my vehicles out of state 90% of the time, vehicles are priced at a premium in my area. So 150-250miles away is the norm for me. I got my wife's Highlander in Louisiana and got my GX in Atlanta. I don't need to worry about rust in my region, and usually drive to check out the vehicles anyway. GA seems to be the sweet spot with deals and condition in my experience.

I just have my own (certified) mechanic that I've used for the past 30+ years to do a full inspection on anything used I purchase.

I have a buddy who owns Cottonwood Auto Sales , he says 40% of his buyers are from back east

You may want to look at CarMax if you are considering a dealer purchase. I've gone that route with my GX460 and had the car inspected by a 3rd party after the purchase. They offer a 30-day return policy as well as a 90 day/4k mile bumper-bumper warranty that covers all mechanical issues. CarMax will either repair the problem or cut you a check for a dealer repair. My car had a few broken/missing interior pieces which they replaced. Additionally, the inspection turned up some issues that I was able to get the dealer to address and everything was covered.

I did have my local Lexus dealer perform a L-Certified inspection and that was a complete waist of money. The result is about 5 pages of TechStream codes that you need a degree in Toyota to understand. I don't think their physical inspection turned up anything an ASE certified mechanic wouldn't have found.

for my other car I used YourMechanic.com to do the PPO and that worked out well.

Also, if you are concerned about the engine, do a complete fluid baseline and send an oil sample off to Blackstone for analysis.

You may want to look at CarMax if you are considering a dealer purchase. I've gone that route with my GX460 and had the car inspected by a 3rd party after the purchase. They offer a 30-day return policy as well as a 90 day/4k mile bumper-bumper warranty that covers all mechanical issues. CarMax will either repair the problem or cut you a check for a dealer repair. My car had a few broken/missing interior pieces which they replaced. Additionally, the inspection turned up some issues that I was able to get the dealer to address and everything was covered.

I hear some folks crap on CarMax, but I personally have to support this and say they’re a good option in certain scenarios.

Plenty of their southern GXs will ship to Boston for free (solving one of your shipping issues/cost), they have truly great warranties (both their free and their purchased extended ones) and while sometimes you do pay a notable premium on some cars, they do have deals and more in-line reasonable prices on vehicles...if you’re not in too much of a hurry.

I’ve purchase my last few vehicles from them and will be purchasing the wife a car from them next month. They aren’t always the right choice for folks, but they have their set of pros/cons like any option and for many, I can see them being a worthwhile place to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom