Power upgrades for 2TR-FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to get some more power out of my 2010 Tacoma. I think it really needs a regear in the diffs, as I've always felt the gearing was too high (second gear while going slow bogs), but outside of that I've been looking for some options.

I have an LCE header and cat-back exhaust.

I am thinking about doing this intake and an MAF tuner from URD.

I'm currently running BFG AT/KO 235/85r16, load range E tires that are probably heavier than they need to be. They'll also be wearing out soon so I'm probably going to get a new set in the same size but lighter duty. That said, even when I had the stock tires the truck would bog in 2nd during a slow turn, for example.

I'd love to do URD's supercharger kit, but $5k is a little out of the realm of possibility. I thought about running a custom turbo setup but I haven't found any basic turbo manifolds to build from.

Ideas?

I'm looking to get some more power out of my 2010 Tacoma. I think it really needs a regear in the diffs, as I've always felt the gearing was too high (second gear while going slow bogs), but outside of that I've been looking for some options.

I'd love to do URD's supercharger kit, but $5k is a little out of the realm of possibility. I thought about running a custom turbo setup but I haven't found any basic turbo manifolds to build from.

Ideas?

Really your best option is to trade it in on a V6 Tacoma.

The URD or a TRD supercharger is actually pretty reasonable for what you're getting. Basically everything in a box, ready to bolt in. To do a turbo, with custom manifold, intake, piggyback computer, intercooler, etc. It's going to cost you MUCH more than $5k.

Unfortunately I don't have the option of selling it.

That said, I think I'm going to do the intake and urd maf recalibrator and call it good until I get a new vehicle.

Maybe I'm going about this wrong. I honestly don't need more power, I just need more drive-ability.
One of my biggest problems with the truck is I feel the gearing is too high. I think Toyota did this to improve mileage (and I can't argue with it, I usually get 20-21mpg in town with my BFG AT/KO 235/85R16, load range E, I'm getting new tires next month and they will be the proper load range C, hopefully saving some weight) and up to 25mpg on the highway. However, from a driving standpoint, anything below ~13mph is too slow to shift to second gear without it bogging, and at times 5th gear is damn near worthless. My ex had a Tacoma with the 3.4 and 5 speed, and that thing would bog less from a stop in second gear than my truck bogs in second at 9mph. I'd much rather have higher RPMs keeping me closer to my power band at any given time.

According to this post, the truck has 4.10 diffs. Maybe I should change the diff gearing? Has anyone done this? What would you recommend? Where should I get the parts?

Edit: Looks like I may be on to something, Toyota lowered the gear ratios for 1st and 2nd gear on the 2016 R156F transmission compared to the 05-15 R155F.

Honestly the V6 route may be worth looking into. I put 100k on a truck like yours before I bought a V6/auto double cab. Planning to pass, barely moving when loaded, 4th gear up steep grades at speed.... No longer an issue. Just put 265/75/16's on it and it didn't phase it a bit. Sure I don't hardly ever see 20 mpg any more but it's got power to spare and I can actually tow with it. I can't see going back.

I have found that light foot driving makes a world of difference. Unfortunately that's not me so I punish that transmission.

I thought Toyota had reprogrammed for the 12' model year. My 12' is better than the 06' I had as company truck. Same DT with the exception of 4WD.

J have load range E also and I could tell the difference before j left the tire store parking lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom