Power steering pump leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like my power steering pump is leaking from this plug (?). Is this something that can be fixed on the engine or do you have to remove it? I assume you would need to drain the fluid first? Thanks

BE44AA68-F02E-4072-A1C0-752F0B66B8DA.jpeg

This is not a plug, but [corrected] the seating of the flow control valve spring. It has an O-ring on that end, which obviously failed.
I guess, you are due for a power steering pump rebuilding job, my friend.
Check the workshop manual. It has an very good explanation on the rebuilding process, with pictures that also tell what exactly you're looking at here...:
[added]
Screenshot_20230226_215017_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

If you remove the snapring, the seat, O-ring, spring and flow valve come out.
BUT the thing is designed to remove the items from the other end. Not sure they can be removed unharmed from this end, and not sure they can be properly assembled again from this end. Also there are more O rings in it, which are also probably due.
I'd do a full rebuild.
I also did a thread on how I rebuilt mine.
Good Luck Ralf

Last edited:
Hello,

x2 on the pump rebuild.

If I remember correctly, there is a gasket kit for the power steering pump.

Juan

Uhh. Hidden gems in the chest?
But I'd get at least some new O rings for the input and output lines then.
BTW, epic pics of your glacier tour. Love it.
Cheers Ralf

Hi Taco! Surprised you have something left to do on your cruiser. You can do that plug seal alone whilst in the bay. Push the valve in, remove circlip and use a hook needle tool to get it out from memory. But as all have said most likely best off doing a complete overhaul, much more approachable out of bay and in a vise. I did the overhaul, but that particular seal leaked again, it is a bit tricky, but managed doing it the second time lying on my back, whilt in the bay.

There is a fella on youtubb , '40 series channel' something like that, doing a steer pump overhaul, not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom