Power steering pump for a 98 LC 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have an opinion on the LC 100 power steering pump. Mine hasn’t failed but I’d like to put a new one in before it does. Do the OEM pumps last?

What can you tell me about them. I’m only interested in putting OEM replacement parts in my LC. What brands should I look for and which should I stay away from. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

thx for your help

I just ordered a new OEM pump for my 99 model. It was $275.90 before shipping from McGeorge. I decided to go with a new OEM to keep everything original. Though, I've had good luck with Cardone A1 rebuilt pumps on Nissan/Infiniti products. One pump has been running for over a decade without issue.

When I replaced the rack, hoses, and everything in the steering system, I should have replaced the pump. I recall it had a slight whine at 235,000 miles. I hoped that new fluid, hoses, and reservoir would let it last and that I would replace it during the next timing belt change in a few years.

I found an issue with dirt or mud being sucked up into the power steering fluid system from a Dorman reservoir cap that was not properly sealing. I think the cap o-ring was the culprit. I've since ordered a new OEM cap. I hope it will resolve the problem. Most people would not experience this problem or notice an issue unless they frequently do mud crossings. There are several issues that come with mud crossings. This may be another one.

I'm not a good example of when to replace a pump in normal conditions.

I just ordered a new OEM pump for my 99 model. It was $275.90 before shipping from McGeorge. I decided to go with a new OEM to keep everything original. Though, I've had good luck with Cardone A1 rebuilt pumps on Nissan/Infiniti products. One pump has been running for over a decade without issue.

When I replaced the rack, hoses, and everything in the steering system, I should have replaced the pump. I recall it had a slight whine at 235,000 miles. I hoped that new fluid, hoses, and reservoir would let it last and that I would replace it during the next timing belt change in a few years.

I found an issue with dirt or mud being sucked up into the power steering fluid system from a Dorman reservoir cap that was not properly sealing. I think the cap o-ring was the culprit. I've since ordered a new OEM cap. I hope it will resolve the problem. Most people would not experience this problem or notice an issue unless they frequently do mud crossings. There are several issues that come with mud crossings. This may be another one.

I'm not a good example of when to replace a pump in normal conditions.
Thanks for your input. Have you received the pump yet? I’m curious to what brand manufactures the OEM pump.

Thanks for your input. Have you received the pump yet? I’m curious to what brand manufactures the OEM pump.
It should be arriving today. I'll post a pic.

Pictures. The box came packed inside another box for a transmission pan that was heavily padded with packing paper. I think the PS pump box may have been dropped before shipment. The return tube shows a little bit of a bend. I've fixed this type of pipe bend on coolant pipes. The pipe part where the hose and clamp rest are ok.

1629114002149.png

1629114075062.png

1629114142694.png

1629114219475.png

Pictures. The box came packed inside another box for a transmission pan that was heavily padded with packing paper. I think the PS pump box may have been dropped before shipment. The return tube shows a little bit of a bend. I've fixed this type of pipe bend on coolant pipes. The pipe part where the hose and clamp rest are ok.

View attachment 2761095

View attachment 2761099

View attachment 2761100

View attachment 2761101
Thank you OwnerCS for taking the time to share your photos.

I did a quick search on Google and found this:
McGeorge Toyota
Henrico, VA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom