Power outlet for winch, air compressor & Jumpstart? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, i want to put a heavy load output connection for the winch, air compressor, & Jumpstart another car, but i want to fit a solenoid to power it only when i need it.
So my question is a 500 amp solenoid/isolater is good for it?, especially for jump starting another car or truck.

I found this solenoid in Amazon in the link below, is it good enough? What is your advice?

Amazon product ASIN B07HQG2RT1

Might be okay for momentary duty as in starting a relatively small engine, but that particular solenoid will definitely NOT handle winching. Look for continuous duty rating and check the spec sheet for your model winch to see max amp draw at max pull strength. I would look at the Albright winch solenoids for the function that you describe. And NEVER use the solenoid when you've already hooked up the power source to the load and applied the load, such as having the winch controller switch closed in operating mode, or trying to start the vehicle needing the jump. Let the solenoid close the circuit before attempting to apply the load.

I don't know about that particular switch. The ad suggests that the 500A is the continuous rating but this appears to be some chinese generic part so who knows. If I had to guess I would say it's probably (much?) less than that. But assuming that it really can handle 500A, that's a lot. I have a 12,000 lbs winch that is rated at 440A tops so I don't think it will ever suck 500A. If it does, I doubt the OEM cables would handle that for long anyway -or the battery for that matter. So, I would guess that relay -if really 500A- would be OK for a typical winch and compressor at least, and I think it would be less than 500A also to jump start a car if you connect to the other battery first. I imagine that a typical gas engine starter would draw (much?) less than 500A but I can also believe that a big Diesel truck starter would draw more than that (although it may likely be 24V, that's another issue). Anyway, I would look into the particulars of what you expect to have to deal with, it's hard to say anything much without specifics.

Might be okay for momentary duty as in starting a relatively small engine, but that particular solenoid will definitely NOT handle winching. Look for continuous duty rating and check the spec sheet for your model winch to see max amp draw at max pull strength. I would look at the Albright winch solenoids for the function that you describe. And NEVER use the solenoid when you've already hooked up the power source to the load and applied the load, such as having the winch controller switch closed in operating mode, or trying to start the vehicle needing the jump. Let the solenoid close the circuit before attempting to apply the load.
Thanks my friend for your reply, especially for the last note. And i purchased this solenoid from NVX, if i have known about Albright before that i would have taken it instead.
Amazon product ASIN B00KMBKWZ0

I don't know about that particular switch. The ad suggests that the 500A is the continuous rating but this appears to be some chinese generic part so who knows. If I had to guess I would say it's probably (much?) less than that. But assuming that it really can handle 500A, that's a lot. I have a 12,000 lbs winch that is rated at 440A tops so I don't think it will ever suck 500A. If it does, I doubt the OEM cables would handle that for long anyway -or the battery for that matter. So, I would guess that relay -if really 500A- would be OK for a typical winch and compressor at least, and I think it would be less than 500A also to jump start a car if you connect to the other battery first. I imagine that a typical gas engine starter would draw (much?) less than 500A but I can also believe that a big Diesel truck starter would draw more than that (although it may likely be 24V, that's another issue). Anyway, I would look into the particulars of what you expect to have to deal with, it's hard to say anything much without specifics.
Yes i checked the max amp draw from my winch and it is 400amp maximum, but for the jump start it is not clear, some say 1000amp and other say more or less, but for me i would generally jump start a gasoline engines, not much diesel in my area, so i hope a 500amp will be good.

well, it's an inexpensive part and easy to do without. Worst case it'll spark and fail. Not too likely to start a fire. You won't be stranded and you can still jumpstart with cables in a pinch. So, not much to lose if you try it out, IMO. Maybe use connectors that will make it easy to bypass or install another one, in case it fails.

I didn't see anywhere in the ad where the words "continuous duty" appeared and that us an industry standard term. The amp solenoid in the subsequent post will likely be okay for both starting and winching.

Why does the winch power need to be 'switched'?
Used 200A version (PakPak) of what you have to bind dual batts for grill-mount jump start port (with most excellent Enviro-boot from @NLXTACY)
Biggest thing it's worked on is a 2500HD. Wouldn't try anything bigger tho.
Jump leads are 1/0 full copper @24ft with red Andersons.

Last edited:
Keep in mind with Anderson plugs that there is a rated plugged amperage rating but a much lower hot swap power rating.

For example the SB50 is 50A hot swap but 120A if it’s not touched (plug/unplug)

For example the SB50 is 50A hot swap but 120A if it’s not touched (plug/unplug)

You're not serious

? 🤔

edit: as in, I had no idea.

Last edited:
What do you mean? It’s their spec.
Clarified my previous.
Copy your last.
Never thought to look for that spec I guess.
Just assumed stated rating(50A) was for a static (not-hot-plug) circuit.

edit:clarity

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom