Powdercoating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know of a good local powdercoating shop for small to mid-size parts? What kind of cost is involved?

Thanks!

Recently I had some stuff to power coat. I called American Stripping and was quoted $250 and six weeks. Not super friendly either. The guy was pretty arogant.

Wound up going with a place in Springfield called "Extreme Powercoating"

Wound up taking three days and costing me $125.00

I was very pleased. Closer to you as well.

Extreme Powder Coating
8384 Terminal Rd # B
Lorton, VA 22079
(703) 339-8233

Another great local powder coater is this guy:

http://www.goosecreekfinishing.com/

very highly regarded by the 356 and 911 guys. Good thing about him is that he runs it out of his house so you can go there on the weekend instead of blue collar business hours (7am to 4 pm) the tractor supply store and Villa Roma Italian food are both worth the trip out there. There is also a Woodcraft in Leesburg. Take another few hours to go to Purcilville and tour the Morgan cars restoration shop - wicked cool stuff there, English wheel, planishing hammer, lead body work, etc. One of the best hardware stores on the planet (Nicols) is also in P-ville.

-Stumbaugh

Last edited:
What did you get powdercoated for $125? Big parts? Small parts?

I'm thinking of getting a quote for the entire frame...

Bicycle frame and fork.

For the whole frame it would be a lot of cash, $600 to just get it sand blasted maybe another $600 to powerder coat - just a guess.

A guy in Manassas I know had his FJ40 frame galvanized down in Richmond. That is what I'd do.

Why not just do the basic "Swedish Standard" prep and paint with Corroless or POR15? I have done this many times.

For more info go here: http://www.corrosion.com/prep.asp#Swedish or google "swedish standard surface preparation".

If it's that sweet green 40 you bought, I'd just power wash it, degrease, wash again, Swedish prep standards, Coroless from Eastwood and then I'd use Tractor Supply paint with the activator to harden it. All this can be brushed on.

-Stumbaugh

John, I only had some small parts of a previous motorcycle done there. I dealt with the then owner, had no problems. Price and timeframe was reasonable. It was, to be honest done in the late 80's/early 90's, so things may have changed.

FRAME? I'd also recommend going with galvanized. One thing I've experienced with powdercoating is that once there is a nick, slice, etc., where water can get in, rust runs rampant bubbling underneath the coating. That's why I will never get anything powdercoated again that will remain in the weather or be subjected to salt, water. YMMV

Any idea of the cost to galvanize?

BTW - the green 40 is not me. I'm working on the same 40 I've had for years - a '79 schizophrenic beast that's been in my garage for the past 5 years.

Oops, I had you confused with Chaka who bought a nice green 74 last year - he also lives in DC in think.

I think it's about $600 bucks I can get you touch with the guy and I have pics at home. PM me with your email and I'll send you what I've got.

He is a Manassas cop, very cool guy. He's the orginal owner of a 74 that he restored for his 16 yr old, there is another guy out in Manassas is doing the same thing for his teenage boys.

-Stumbaugh

Last edited:
Extreme Powdercoating also was one of the vendors at our last Swap Meet about a year ago.

Yep, I think that's where I got the guy's card.

Great guy to do business with, my wife's bike turned out great...

If any of you guys ride, I am a Jedi Master bike mechanic and will work for Sumatra coffee in 5 pound bags.

-Stumbaugh

I am a Jedi Master bike mechanic and will work for Sumatra coffee in 5 pound bags.

-Stumbaugh

So, John, if you're Jedi Master then you don't need all them fancy tools. I'll trade you a 10 lb bag o' Sumatran for all them tools you don't need. :D

Dave,

Yes. My name is John and I am a tool addict. wellcome to toolaholics anonymous .

-Stumbaugh

My name is Dan. I am a toolaholic. It all started in my youth with a '66 Bug doing the valve lash...

Frame Galvanizer info

Here is good info for the local archives:

Local hot rodder, fabricator, cruiser head, etc Don McKinnon passed along this info:

Virginia Galvanizing Corp
Address: 11022 Lewistown Rd, Ashland, VA 23005
Phone: (804) 798-3257

They did his FJ40 frame and it turned out great, he said it was about $500.00

Don is also a cop and a great guy to ask about what you can and can't get away with.

He and several others Cruiser heads live out in Manassas, maybe the CLCC should do a "West" happy hour some where out there. Don, Kevin and Tom are out that way. I am sure there are others as well.

-Stumbaugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom