Post-Timing Belt No Crank, New Battery, Starter Works (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

First time in the GX forum (usually on the 80 side). Bought my wife an 06 GX and wanted to do the timing belt since the PO didn't know when it was last serviced and it had no prior maintenance history (190k mi). Disconnected the battery, followed the FSM, you get the idea. Anyway, I bumped the starter to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt, re-disconnected the battery, and continued on. Got everything buttoned up the next day, went to start her up, and got no crank at all. To be more precise: I put the key in the ignition and the security light stops blinking and goes off; all lights and GPS come on; when the key is turned the GPS and clock dim/shut off (probably because power is being sent down the line), but nothing else happens. No crank coming from the starter.

Bought new battery and confirmed charge. Tested starter relay and confirmed working. Turned key to "ON" and jumped battery and solenoid relay terminals and starter cranked, leading me to believe it works. Have checked ALL fuses with test light. Have confirmed that, when the key is turned to crank, the "STA" and "ST2" fuses in the dash go hot. However, when the key is turned to crank, the starter relay's control terminal DOES NOT get power. So, somewhere between the ignition switch and the starter relay power is being disrupted. Oh, and no codes.

Right now, my next step is to confirm that power is going to/from the NSS (the next stop down the power line). I'm also wondering whether the immobilizing system could be causing the ECM to prevent (a) power from going from the NSS to the starter relay and (b) the engine from starting.

My (extremely limited) understanding of the immobilizer system is that the chip in the key sends a signal to an antenna which relays the signal to the ECM. I really don't know whether and to what extent the security light in the dash actually reflects whether the ECM is recognizing the key and allowing the truck to crank.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. I'm new to sourcing electrical problems, but am trying my best to learn as I go.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom