PMC McGrew Trail Ride July 21 - 23 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Welcome to what will be a great trail ride/campout! Open to PMC members and their invited guests.

There will be several options for participants during this year's July 21 - 23 ride. These will be either for those that want to drive the historic wagon trail to the intersection for camp on Friday the 21st only and those that want to drive the alternative USFS gravel route to camp on their own on Friday or Saturday at any time of their choosing (https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/sourdough-camp).

We have a single day USFS Permit to traverse the historic, traditional wagon trail on July 21 only (HIGHLY RESTRICTED ACCESS due to sensitive habitat). The trail itself is mostly just rough and rocky and requires not too much more than a stock Toyota 4x4. A completely stock rig can do this route with some degree of patience, careful picking of lines, paying close attention to the path at all times, and not being too proud to ask for a spotter in some spots.

All participants for the wagon route must be ready to meet on July 21st, at 9 AM, behind the O’Brien Country Store, located adjacent to US HWY 199, in O’Brien, Oregon (US HWY 199 travels between I-5, in Grants Pass, OR and US HWY 101, in Crescent City, CA. the tiny town of O’Brien is roughly the mid point and distinguished by a single yellow flashing light).

All vehicles must be thoroughly washed, especially the undercarriage, to prevent the spread of Port Orford Cedar Root Disease and Sudden Oak Death (the USFS is very serious about this, even as far as inspecting the inner fender lips)

The trailhead is at a locked yellow gate 4 miles west up Lone Mountain Road from the store. We'll be at the gate until 9:30 for any stragglers. After that, the gate will be locked and you'll have to drive USFS roads to camp.

We traverse the trail all the way to the last intersection to Sourdough (USFS Campground on North Fork Smith River) and should arrive in camp late afternoon..

Sourdough Campground (primitive):
Basically, the idea is for all participants to get to this primitive campground on the North Fork of the Wild and Scenic Smith River some time before dinner, Saturday, the 22nd. Plan on a potluck dinner sometime around 6pm so bring whatever suits you to share. With this year's normal rainfall in this area so far, the swimming holes will be deep and beautiful, we may be allowed campfires, and the mosquitos will be friendly!

If at all possible, please shoot me an email at bomkehome@gmail.com with any questions. It would also be helpful for me to know which run you’ll be taking so I know who to look out for on each route.

Ranger Jeff

Last edited:
McGrew Postponed... sorry for late notice!

Friends... due to a medical condition recently discovered, Jeff and I need to postpone this trip till late September.

We apologize for the late notice and have contacted all known attendees directly.

Thank you!

Tony

It is with much sadness and grief that I share the news of Jeff's passing. He lost his battle with cancer on Nov. 20th, 2023 under the care of hospice at home. He was so set on attending this trail ride (which I asked him personally to bring back) that we barely got him to postpone (we used that word instead of cancel). His wife Lori called me without his knowledge and pleaded for me to talk him into not going as his condition was deteriorating so rapidly. Thus the short notice of the postponement.

I met Jeff when I was in high school, that was 77/78 ish. Truly one of my longest known best friends ever. He got me into Land Cruisers when he sold his Olds 442 and bought an old cruiser.

Per my last discussion with Jeff, this postponed event will return this year , only the name will change - the Jeff Bomke Memorial McGrew Trail Ride. We'll sit around the campfire and continue to bash upon him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom