Play in Wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay let me start off saying I have searched all of the threads on this but would just like some additional info please.

While checking the passenger side front axle for play I discovered that I do have some play in the 12:00 & 6:00 position, not a lot 1/16" tops but enough I want to look into it. I am not leaking grease on the inside of the knuckle just the play in the wheel that concerns me. Also when I check the knuckle grease level through the inspection hole on top of the knuckle how much grease should be in there? Please advise where to start? Could it just be the wheel bearings need to be tightened? Please describe in detail your sugestions.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Note: I posted this on the national forum as well but wanted to get some local opinions!!!

The grease level should be around 2/3rd's full to almost full, you just dont want it jammed all the way to the top. When you measure the grease, smell of it and see if you notice a gear oil smell at all.

I would just tighten your wheel bearings per the FSM spec's and keep an eye on it. Put it back on the stands in a couple hundred miles and recheck. IIRC there should be about 3-4'' of grease on whatever you use to check level, but make sure you make it to the bottom of the knuckle (about 6'') Ill be rebuilding my Front axle next weekend i believe in HP if you want to come by and help/watch/learn some. My wheel bearings have come loose twice now in 6 mos. so i got new races and and all w/ the rebuild parts and might try to tighten just a hair over spec to keep em in place w/ the 37s.

as mentioned above check the level and the CONTENTS more importantly to see if you inner axle seal is leaking any diff fluid out to the knuckle. Sounds like your on the right track going over it w/ a fine tooth comb and starting w/ the PM instead of the accessories.

-

JFZ80,

I would be honored to be able to come help wrench on a cruiser with you. That is Jan 24th right? Send me a PM with details please.

JFZ80

PM me about the axle rebuild. I somehow deleted your earlier PM that had your contact on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom