Planning for 3-4 Days in North Maine Woods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to get out and do something a little more off the beaten path in July and stumbled upon the 3.5M acre North Maine Woods. Anyone done and exploring and camping in there and have any advice for spending 3-4 days?

Is it worth even going up that far and deep info just a few days of should we just look at Acadia or something more tame?

Exploring up there is definitely worth it... The Trains are really cool objective to plan for, not much north of that spot. Also B-52 crash site. the eastern most point a Lubec is cool too. the light house there is very pretty.

Acadia is always VERY busy at that time of year, but worth a pass thru for a hike.

I've done a lot of exploring up there, but most of what I reference above can be found exploring the NE section on ExPo. DM if you have specific questions...

May be worth asking Mine4x4. They are a Fellow NEA4WD club and good group of wheelers. Im sure they know. They are more active other FB page, but they do have a forum too.

Still planning to do this trip?
Likely not this summer. We just got back from 5 days in VT around Burlington and Stowe areas, 2 days in Maine camping outside Freeport and another 2 days in central VT exploring the Green Mountain National Forest. Was a bit surprised not to be able to find much in the way of offroading in the GMNF least not in the southern end we were exploring. All in all a great 10 day 2000 mile trip. Think that makes 22,600 miles and 22 different states for the LC in the past 13 months.

Likely will try and get back up to ME to explore the Great North Woods next summer unless of course we decide to do Moab.

They are shutting down all sorts of class 4 in vt due to over use and trash. The best wheeling is all private land now.

Bumping this up from last Spring. If OP is planning on heading up No'th Maine Woods this year and wants some camping tips, feel free to reach out here or PM me. I spend I a lot time up there, inside the gates, and know it very well. Campsites are not reservable so planning primary and secondary options is key as is fuel range.

A few years ago I tried to drive to the Dorset VT quarry caves.

We had some heavy thunderstorms the night before and the road was blocked by some fallen trees. Never made it to the quarry caves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom