Perfectly normal buying process….right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I’ve been able to meet some of you at the last couple TAC events. Wanted to share some updates on our Land Cruisers.

I've been a Toyota guy for a while. I bought a 2015 Tundra 3-4 years ago and started building it into a hunting/overlanding rig. I think it works well for its intended purpose and plan to use this for the next decade or so. It is a dedicated purpose vehicle - we have DDs and this one does not get driven much around town. Most of the time, it lives in the barn behind our home.
4D305237-9816-4BD2-AD98-80593A0BF288.jpeg

I have a longterm interest in the Land Cruiser platforms. Had some experiences with Land Cruisers growing up and have made a couple trips to Africa where we used 70s in the bush on safari. I’ve tracked Land Cruiser auctions on the BringATrailer website and the IH8Mud classifieds for years but never pulled the trigger.

In the late 80s, a high school buddy bought a 77 FJ40. I had never seen anything like it and dreamed about about owning one someday, but no way was I owning one as a high school or college student. Fast forward to earlier this year and I was ready to buy a Side-By-Side ATV and my wife said “You know….you always wanted a 40 and this SXS is about the same price.” So I started reconsidering the SXS plan.

Several years ago, a friend in Columbia MO restored a 68 FJ40. You can see that restoration thread here. I ran into him a year or so ago and asked him how the FJ was and he told me he sold it on BAT to a guy from Pennsylvania. Rats….wish I would have known it was for sale. This June, I get a call out of the blue from Pennsylvania….guy says he owns Peter’s 40 but thinking about selling it.

Ended up agreeing to buy it the 40, but the transaction was held up by some PA title issues. Issues were resolved a week or so ago and this week, this 40 came home to live in KC.
B8807018-25BE-4B31-926B-1B5566C43C4E.jpeg

Just after college, my wife worked for a doc in Olathe that bought a new 1992 80. He ended up taking that vehicle to Africa multiple times and I believe still owns it today. His 80 inspired me to own one of my own someday. But I did not plan on buying an 80 anytime soon. I was just waiting on the 40.

However, in August, this 1991 FJ80 popped up here in KC. Although i was not in the market, I looked hard at it and ended up buying it. I have a fair amount of work to do on the rig, but it is a solid platform to start with.
EB9FE033-55EE-4FD1-A9EF-09797158B646.jpeg

So now we own three Toyotas, including two Land Cruisers. My wife has started telling her friends that I’m a land cruiser collector. I do not think two qualifies as a collection but they are cool rigs.

A bit of a regret is that I’ll be working on two at a time and will not have the time to really get to know one vehicle well. I don’t have a lot of mechanical skills but will figure this out as I go along.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I’ve been able to meet some of you at the last couple TAC events. Wanted to share some updates on our FJs.

I've been a Toyota guy for a while. I bought a 2015 Tundra 3-4 years ago and started building it into a hunting/overlanding rig. I think it works well for its intended purpose and plan to use this for the next decade or so. It is a dedicated purpose vehicle - we have DDs and this one does not get driven much around town. Most of the time, it lives in the barn behind our home.
View attachment 2800791

I have a longterm interest in the Land Cruiser platforms. Had some experiences with Land Cruisers growing up and have made a couple trips to Africa where we used 70s in the bush on safari. I’ve tracked Land Cruiser auctions on the BringATrailer website and the IH8Mud classifieds for years but never pulled the trigger.

In the late 80s, a high school buddy bought a 77 FJ40. I had never seen anything like it and dreamed about about owning one someday, but no way was I owning one as a high school or college student. Fast forward to earlier this year and I was ready to buy a Side-By-Side ATV and my wife said “You know….you always wanted a 40 and this SXS is about the same price.” So I started reconsidering the SXS plan.

Several years ago, a friend in Columbia MO restored a 68 FJ40. You can see that restoration thread here. I ran into him a year or so ago and asked him how the FJ was and he told me he sold it on BAT to a guy from Pennsylvania. Rats….wish I would have known it was for sale. This June, I get a call out of the blue from Pennsylvania….guy says he owns Peter’s FJ but thinking about selling it.

Ended up agreeing to buy it the FJ, but the transaction was held up by some PA title issues. Issues were resolved a week or so ago and this week, this FJ came home to live in KC.
View attachment 2800788
Just after college, my wife worked for a doc in Olathe that bought a new 1992 FJ. He ended up taking that vehicle to Africa multiple times and I believe still owns it today. His FJ inspired me to own one of my own someday. But I did not plan on buying an 80 anytime soon. I was just waiting on the 40.

However, in August, this 1991 FJ80 popped up here in KC. Although i was not in the market, I looked hard at it and ended up buying it. I have a fair amount of work to do on the rig, but it is a solid platform to start with.
View attachment 2800789
So now we own three Toyotas, including two Land Cruisers. My wife has started telling her friends that I’m a land cruiser collector. I do not think two qualifies as a collection but they are cool rigs.

A bit of a regret is that I’ll be working on two at a time and will not have the time to really get to know one vehicle well. I don’t have a lot of mechanical skills but will figure this out as I go along.
That looks like a great Toyota collection to me. They all look like great trucks to own and invest time and money in.

One of my favorite 80 color combos...

tempImagesgsoTT.png

Two cruisers! what a great start! The guy who owned the 80 does nice metal work. His 1uz swapped 1st gen 4runner is pretty sweet. His name is barnett_built on instagram.
Yeah, Martin seemed like a good dude. I was glad to pick up the 80. I think we'll have some fun with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom