Patagonia Ghost towns - Nov 3-4 with camping? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For those that haven't wandered around Patagnia area it is beautiful country down that way.

E5164565-9BF8-4103-8A8D-E5667F7B1CAD.jpeg
Sounds fun. I’m booked that weekend, but I can attest to the beauty. The wife and I just did a wine tour of Sonoita, which you’ll pass along the way assuming you take that route. The wine was quite good and the rolling grasslands at 5500’ were a nice treat.

Disappointed as I won't make this one - should be a great trip.

Very cool CSC is making it down to our neck of the woods!

I was planning on hosting an event once our new shop here in Sonoita was finished...being that we're waiting to pour the slab it may be a while out:rofl:
HQ 2018.jpg

Our shop, OverLand Cruisers Inc., specializes in mechanical restorations on North American spec Land Cruisers with a strong emphasis on attention to detail, life is too short not to take your time. More on us later.

Back to the run. We have a bunch of irons in the fire but I'll see if I can break free and make it out on the trail.

Either way we'll have resources in place for tows, recovery, cold concrete floor to wrench on, etc...

I covered this area as a law enforcement officer for a long time so feel free to hit me up with any route/camping questions.

The temps have been getting pretty low at night so be sure to bring warm kit.

Cheers,
Johnny

Last edited:
Hey Johnny what is the elevation down there?

If a group is rolling south I have a nice, stocker friendly, loop in mind. if the group consist of 80s on 35s we can dial up the difficulty if desired...

Depending on when everyone would be ready to hit the dirt this may work nicely.

Saturday:
Meet at Box Canyon/Greaterville Road, head south through the Coronado NF along the Santa Ritas. The trail isn't difficult, a stock 40 would do fine.

The campsite I have in mind is in a nice stand of Oaks out of the wind, plenty of fire wood and room to spread out.

Sunday:
Head towards Patagonia through the forest, again no difficult wheeling just slow going due to rocks and grade. Likely take 3 hours with stops.

Lunch in Patagonia? The Wagon Wheel is, according to them, the oldest operation saloon in AZ, decent chow and a cool place. Mercedes, just down the road, has good Mexican food and outside seating.

Post-lunch
Head into the San Rafael Valley and then head south on FSR 214 to the Ghost Town of Lochiel (about 3 real live people still live there, once Customs closed the cattle port of entry/gate most folks moved to town).

After Lochiel the group will head north through the SRV (San Rafael Valley) and exit the valley at Canelo Pass. This should put the group in Sonoita at about 4pm.

Thoughts?

Hope you're all having a fun week thus far :)

Johnny

Very cool CSC is making it down to our neck of the woods!

I was planning on hosting an event once our new shop here in Sonoita was finished...being that we're waiting to pour the slab it may be a while out:rofl:
View attachment 1815383
Our shop, OverLand Cruisers Inc., specializes in mechanical restorations on North American spec Land Cruisers with a strong emphasis on attention to detail, life is too short not to take your time. More on us later.

Back to the run. We have a bunch of irons in the fire but I'll see if I can break free and make it out on the trail.

Either way we'll have resources in place for tows, recovery, cold concrete floor to wrench on, etc...

I covered this area as a law enforcement officer for a long time so feel free to hit me up with any route/camping questions.

The temps have been getting pretty low at night so be sure to bring warm kit.

Cheers,
Johnny

Off topic but,
Don't suppose you know a good friend of mine, Jim Koweek? Lives in the Elgin area, Az revegitation, The Busted Cowboy Band?

I know I started the thread but I threw my back out this weekend. I Wont be in any shape to go out in the 40 off road or camp.....hoping we can pick another weekend before it gets too cold.

Off topic but,
Don't suppose you know a good friend of mine, Jim Koweek? Lives in the Elgin area, Az revegitation, The Busted Cowboy Band?

Yup!! That is so funny! We've bought seed from Jim for years and a good pal took over his nursery business. He plays every Thursday at the Sonoita Cafe, great stuff.

I know I started the thread but I threw my back out this weekend. I Wont be in any shape to go out in the 40 off road or camp.....hoping we can pick another weekend before it gets too cold.

Not a problem at all, that would work better for me as well.

I'm juggling several projects and should keep my nose to the grindstone (oh woe is me...more time spent working on Land Cruisers).

How does the 17th of November look for everyone?

It will probably be in the high 60s during the day and right around freezing at night.

Hope your back gets better!

I'd love to make it down there sometime in November as well!

Yup!! That is so funny! We've bought seed from Jim for years and a good pal took over his nursery business. He plays every Thursday at the Sonoita Cafe, great stuff.

It's a small world, he and I (and a Mutual friend), go way back (Nursery and music Biz). Next time you run into him, ask him if has buddy in Oracle who's "into" Cruisers.;):cheers:

ollanik, Been there, live with it daily, heal up soon.

Wait, how did I miss this thread, damn it! Oh well I managed to get a sinus infection that took me out anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom