P0453 Evap code (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting a P0453 Evan code on my 2009 triggering The VSC, 4lo, etc lights. I can't get the code to clear. Any thoughts? Came on as I pulled out of the driveway, turned around and took another car as I was in a rush. Next day lights were off but came back on while my wife was driving. She stopped to get gas to see if it would help but they never went off again. My mechanic can't get them to clear either. Left it with him to trouble shoot but thought someone on here may have had a similar experience to save time. Thanks

I'm getting a P0453 Evan code on my 2009 triggering The VSC, 4lo, etc lights. I can't get the code to clear. Any thoughts? Came on as I pulled out of the driveway, turned around and took another car as I was in a rush. Next day lights were off but came back on while my wife was driving. She stopped to get gas to see if it would help but they never went off again. My mechanic can't get them to clear either. Left it with him to trouble shoot but thought someone on here may have had a similar experience to save time. Thanks

Sounds like a loose or faulty gas cap. Make sure the gas cap is on tight and the codes should go away after a couple of days.

HTH

I get those occasionally.
New gas cap... still happens on mine.
Replaced charcoal canister (ouch!))...still happens.
New O2 sensors...still happens.
-New fill neck via subtank...still happens.
-Usually the next morning after fill up or big change in ambient temps while sitting overnight...or if sitting a few days.

So...
-Get an OBDII plug-in reader to read and clear...and voila. You’re on your way. But it will likely return occasionally.

I basically gave up and keep a switched OBD2 reader plugged in. When it happens, I flip the switch on and clear it. Takes about 12 second and can even be done while moving if I fail to notice lights in a hurry upon start.

Annoying...but meh.

Im with you on all that @Markuson lol
Its a glitch in the matrix

My issue is that I can't clear the code at all. And that's using my mechanics expensive readers. It's annoying to have to clear it when it comes back. But I'm trying to get it to clear all together.

My issue is that I can't clear the code at all. And that's using my mechanics expensive readers. It's annoying to have to clear it when it comes back. But I'm trying to get it to clear all together.

Hmm. Very strange.
Maybe grab a cheapie reader from harbor freight and try?
Clears mine instantly.

What does the dealer suggest?

Doesnt that mean its a hard code then? Maybe theres more to what youre dealing with

Doesnt that mean its a hard code then? Maybe theres more to what youre dealing with

Wonder same.
I’d stop by the dealer & see what codes they pull.

I haven't been to the dealer yet. I just have more trust in my mechanic than the guys at my local dealer. I'll let him play with it and see what he comes up with. I don't believe he has ever charged me for his time to diagnose so nothing to lose for the time being. Thank you for all of the feedback.

I haven't been to the dealer yet. I just have more trust in my mechanic than the guys at my local dealer. I'll let him play with it and see what he comes up with. I don't believe he has ever charged me for his time to diagnose so nothing to lose for the time being. Thank you for all of the feedback.

I’ve never been charged to check codes. If they charge you for that, maybe find a different dealer.

Bumping this up for my first run-in with the P0453 code - @tpscruisers did you every get the P0453 code resolved? Yesterday I received the typical suite of VSC off/CEL/4LO flashing lights after driving up to the mountains. Code reader showed P0453. When I try to clear the code using the reader, the code instantly triggers again. My mechanic is going to take a look in two weeks but in the meantime I thought I'd dig around for more info here.

This seems different than the P0456 code, which I had last year. I solved that issue (or thought I did?) with a new charcoal canister. I did have the P0456 code pop up once shortly after that install, but cleared it quickly with the code reader. Smoke test post-new canister was all good. No other warning lights until yesterday, despite lots of drives that had big elevation and/or outdoor temperature changes.

Bumping this up for my first run-in with the P0453 code - @tpscruisers did you every get the P0453 code resolved? Yesterday I received the typical suite of VSC off/CEL/4LO flashing lights after driving up to the mountains. Code reader showed P0453. When I try to clear the code using the reader, the code instantly triggers again. My mechanic is going to take a look in two weeks but in the meantime I thought I'd dig around for more info here.

This seems different than the P0456 code, which I had last year. I solved that issue (or thought I did?) with a new charcoal canister. I did have the P0456 code pop up once shortly after that install, but cleared it quickly with the code reader. Smoke test post-new canister was all good. No other warning lights until yesterday, despite lots of drives that had big elevation and/or outdoor temperature changes.

Do you have an LRA tank?

Do you have an LRA tank?
No, stock 2009 LC fuel/evap system. Other than the new charcoal canister installed by my mechanic last year, service records from the previous owner show that a dealer replaced the fuel sending unit at some point early on in the vehicle's life. I've also replaced the gas cap once or twice during my six years of ownership.

And just like that, the lights disappeared on their own yesterday afternoon. We'll see if they come back.
Did your lights come back on? I have the same issue. 2013 with same lights, so far have replaced canister, several sensors, ecu, repaired some wiring. Went off for a few days after the new ecu but came back this morning. Has been jumpy both mornings. Not sure if it’s a airflow or fuel problem

Did your lights come back on? I have the same issue. 2013 with same lights, so far have replaced canister, several sensors, ecu, repaired some wiring. Went off for a few days after the new ecu but came back this morning. Has been jumpy both mornings. Not sure if it’s a airflow or fuel problem
Nope, all good since my last post in this thread. Sorry to hear you're having the same issue, these codes are frustrating to diagnose.

Sorry I missed the bump in this thread back in April! I don’t have the 2009 anymore. It was resolved at the time, but I can’t recall what the solution was. For some reason I think it was just the charcoal canister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom