P0301, cylinder misfire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
So, while I have been tracking transmission woes, this new problem surfaced a couple weeks ago too. Engine stumbled and there was a power loss as all the dash lights came on with a flashing CEL to really grab your attention. Weird thing was, if I stopped and parked, turned engine off and restarted it would go away. The dash lights disappeared too. Ran a scanner and pulled up the P0301 code.

Finally got around to replacing the coil pack and all seems well now. Hopefully that's the fix. Will keep y'all posted if that changes. 226,000 on my odometer.

Was that a code for misfire? Just curious what led you to the coil.

That code is specifically for a misfire - P0301 identifies cylinder 1, P0302 for cylinder 2, P0303 for cylinder 3, etc.

The FSM has a number of pages on diagnosing, but I skipped right to replacing the coil.

Attachments

• 1GR-FE Cylinder Misfire Diagnosis.pdf
    222.4 KB · Views: 791
I'm curious if you pulled the plug to see if there was something that lead you to the coil?

I ask because I had another vehicle throw misfire codes and when I replaced the plugs (190k) they were pretty sorry looking. Codes vanished with the new plugs.

I did not pull the plug, but would, if the issue persisted. These are the original coils, not the original plugs though. I bet on the highest likelihood item and thankfully got it right.

A tech friend had a novel suggestion for diagnosing. Move the coil one cylinder down and move the plug two cylinders down and see where the code goes. If it stays on cylinder 1, then likely a wire harness issue. If it moves, then you know it was either the plug or the coil respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom