Ozark NF camping suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I'll be traveling from Atlanta through AR in early October and I'm looking for a decent camping spot north of I-40. Last time we came through, we stayed at Redding Recreation Area and the campground was over run by locals who thought running chainsaws at 11pm was just a-OK.

Don't want to run too far north to camp as we're motoring all the way to Santa Fe, NM the next day. Something between Clarksville and Alma exits would be perfect.

Please-and-thanks-in-advance!

The White Rock Mountain area is not too far north of 40 and it is between Clarksville and Alma. There are primitive campsites along the Mulberry River and a improved sites/cabins on top of the mountain. It has been a while since I have been up there, but it is more off the beaten path than Redding.

@Tireguy87, can you help a brother put?

Most of my camping has been done in the areas north of Dover. Are you looking for a maintained campground or are you more along the lines of a primitive spot next to a forest service road?

There is some dispersed camping just N of Hector. Bayou Bluff Campground is OK for a one nighter, mainly paddlers use it. Or a mile or so further north, turn left on Middle Fork Road just before Hwy 27 crosses Illinois Bayou. Several primitive sites down that road right on the creek. That'd put you about 25 miles north of I-40 if you take Alma exit and go N through Hector.

Edit: I got my A towns mixed up. Above is N of Atkins, not Alma, sorry bout that.

Last edited:
I would check out turner bend, just down the road from redding. Brad does a good job of making sure you have quiet if you need it. The corp of engineers campsites along the AR river in Ozark are pretty good. The Corp campsites at Blue MT lake are also good. Shores Lake in the Ozark NF is another good spot. Lake fort smith state park is just north of Alma & is nice. Closer to clarksville is horsehead lake, another NF site. Lake Ft smith also has cabins for rent that may be a bonus if you don't want to set up a tent, but the fall is their busy time.

good luck,
ty
:beer:

Haw Creek Falls Campground is a nice, smaller campground just 30 minutes north of Clarksville. It's easy to get to (just off highway 123), has a lot of tree coverage, and is right next to a beautiful waterfall. Oh, and stop at Motion Fuels/Oark Burger Co just before jumping onto highway 123. Ethanol free gas and some of the best burgers in the area.

Even though it’s a little before Clarksville, being the last Russellville exit , Have you looked at longpool campground just north of Dover on big piney creek? Are you coming through on a weekend or during the week ? That’s going to make a huge difference in how crowed the camp areas are. If ya wanna pm me I can get ya a couple possible places north of Cass

Last edited:
Looks like a good option too. If we can stand to be in the truck that long, we'll push to Lake Ft Smith, and if our caravan is feeling tired we'll stop at Long Pool. Our longest leg on this trip will be from AR to NM, so that extra hour west on this first day is my goal.

Lake Ft Smith SP has a very lovely campground. Although we were only there 9-10 hours. Tent/small RV sites were well designed for such a hilly topography. The drive up the mountain to get there seemed like it would never end. Got real twisty and steep near the end.

Our site was three tiers and had water/electric (though we didn't use them). The top was long back-in drive with wheel stop bar. That's a large boulder in the background behind my trailer in this view:
IMG_7793.JPG

Second tier was for fire pit, lantern tree and picnic table with a concrete pad under the table. Third tier was a large tent pad.
IMG_7794.JPG

Bathhouse is seen in the distance at right, about 100yds away. Everything looked fairly new to us, but the lady at the desk said it was 10 years old, so I guess it has just been well maintained.
IMG_7795.JPG

There's that boulder I was referring to (on the left below).
IMG_7796.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom