Outdated LC's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I lot of folks post and complain about the LC being out of date. I've got a 2019 LC and just don't know what features the LC doesn't have from an aging perspective. Sure the styling is dated, but i don't think folks are complaining about the styling being out of date. I think most feel the styling is classic: like a 911, RR or G-wagen.

So I guess it's features/technology. I'd like to have Apple Carplay, but other than that I don't know what it's missing. Some complain about the climate control system. I just leave mine on auto in all of my cars and the LC does auto well. The LC has auto dimming lights, the lane warnings and adaptive cruise control. It doesn't have the slow speed autonomous driving or parking assist.

So let me know what I'm missing here. All I imagine is that folks are wishing the LC had the tech found in a Tesla.

I feel the vast majority of people have very little idea what features actually makes things better in the real world. So most of us fall back on two things, more is better, and changing things from the factory is better.

The second one is not for this conversation, but the first one...

So the 200 doesn’t have a 10 speed transmission, but a F150 does
We don’t have USB-C, but a Ram does
We don’t get Apple car play, but everything else does.
We don’t have a type of direct injection, but a Tacoma does.
We don’t have forced induction but it’s a common trend now.

We don’t really have much more than a three tons steel, body on frame, solid rear axle, port injected, natural aspirated, average transmission, low tech truck. But it works, and works well, for years on end.

Most people don’t care about reliability. Even people here that have owned multiple 200s wouldn’t have to care about reliability (long term that is, even Land Rovers last a few years)

So when media outlets, who need to make new articles constantly, to stay relevant. And when car commercials tell you that the “new” features of their truck is better. People believe it.

Is an 8 speed 200 able to do more than a 6 speed? Debatable... but you want the one with more, becuase it has more. And will anyone argue that a 16 speed is too much? It was good in the family farm semi when I was a kid driving it, so why not?

Bigger and more... it sells.

Last edited:
Amen. Honestly, there is nothing that my 200 can do that my 100 can’t. I upgraded the head unit In the 100 to the latest. So now i have Nav and Bluetooth streaming and phone. My 100 has a locking rear diff, 200 doesnt. So really the 100 feels like the peak even though i bought it in 1998.

All thenother flashy stuff is irrelevant to me. And, really, to most everyone else once they get past the buying experience. Ever notice how many people still handhold their mobile phone rather than use bluetooth through the car? Exactly.

The #1 feature I desire that I see in newer trucks is all the upfront storage nooks and crannies. Places to tuck away (out of sight) all the little things I like to make sure I have around, just in case. #2 would be built in USB C. Could care less about Apple Car Play. I feel folks should concentrate more on their surroundings than on their phone apps on a larger display.

+1 to @Taco2Cruiser. Perhaps we are wired to a certain extent to always want bigger/newer/faster, but these are so much different. For me it's similar to handling a cheap tool versus a well made tool. Even in a 6 year old truck, I get in every morning and it just "feels" good. Steering wheel it tight, doors thud shut, nothing rattles, nothing shakes. ...Hard to sell that on a marketing slick.

Reactions: HGB
I would have bought a 100 but the difference in price between a 2003+ (when they got rear curtain airbags) and an early year 200 was only like $4k. Easy choice to go with the newer series and have even more modern safety features, a bigger v8, and a six speed. Otherwise it was a wash.

Never gave the tech stack a second thought, none of those things existed when I learned to drive. I had no problem going anywhere in the US with a paper map then or now. I use phone/tablet now, and there isn't ever going to be a modern HU (except the android ones, with their own issues) that will be as up to date as these platforms.

Personally I feel new trucks are a huge downgrade due to lacking of strong durable frames/reliability. Everyone is trying to rush a new doodad that breaks after short while.... one of the reasons I lost love for Mercedes/BMW as they were not over engineered like they used to be (20 year reliability). I find the story of Toyota interesting as they were the new comer no one saw coming, the underdog story - the tortoise and the hare. The Land Cruiser is the best of what they have been able to produce. It looks/feels like a truck still! Also Land Cruiser got a huge upgrade in 2016 with the new front grill (LOVE IT just dont want to pay for it).

I tried an android auto add-on. Didn't work. I have a magnet mount charger on my vent. With bluetooth, I have what I need. My Note 20 display is plenty big.

The recent Alexa "upgrade" was useless.

I'd love for better maps integration. The factory map sucks.

I like my 2020 4runner which gives me turn by turn directions on my middle display by the speedometer through Waze or G Maps via Android Auto.

I have Android Auto in my 84 pickup and am adding it to my FJ62.

The 200 has more than I need. I just wish the Nav was separate from climate so I could add aftermarket quality audio, but not a big deal.

Some of the safety doo dads are nice, but tend to warn me of non-issues. Still, if it may save me in a crash or avoid one, I guess it is worth having. I do enjoy auto cruise on road trips.

If your thing is all the latest bells and whistles then YES the LC is outdated by that measure.

I don't think I am missing anything but then my other drive is 1997 T100 4x4 4speed manual, I did upgrade to HD AM/FM radio.
Next vehicle purchase will be to replace the Wife's G37. I have driven the newer Q60's, Lexus RC and IS. I do not like any of them as much as I like her current G37. All new cars are that electric steering and compared to rack and pinion the electric just feel numb. Sure I like the cooled seats, the bigger displays, and radar cruise. I not a fan of lane check, I have zero interest in car that drives itself, I have no need for car play or any other apps.
With all that being said it will not be my car so I get zero input in what she wants me to buy. She will decide what she wants and that is what I will get her.

My only real “complaints“ with the current LC are the relatively lousy infotainment system that feels very dated compared to what companies like Mercedes have these days and the lack of USB charging ports. Not just the actual functionality, but also how slick the user interface is.

i‘ve added the EC Offroad Android unit that adds CarPlay and Android Auto as well as the ability to run pretty much any Android app on the factory screen. This mostly resolved the infotainment, but the climate controls are still a bit clunky, though auto mode does indeed work pretty well.

i added a bunch of USB ports to the rear of the center console and the rear cargo area, which mostly resolves that issue.

I’m really happy overall with the LC at this point.

I think the tech is outdated for sure. Not just lack of Car Play or Android Auto, the system is just OLD. I don't know if it's considered being outdated, but like someone else mentioned the interior storage is terrible. (Search cup holders for many threads on this monstrosity)

I have a 2013 LX and I am fine with the 6sp, giant step up for my old 2017 4Runner 5sp. Not sure how much more useful the 8sp is, didn't really do anything for the gas mileage. I like the simple dash and would be ok with the touchscreen if ALL the HVAC control were knobs/button and not 1/2 in the screen and 1/2. I will never understand why anyone thought that was a good idea.

But reliability and durability are the two most important factors for me. I can live with old tech because I know the truck will be reliable and that is what counts for me.

Should have got a 2009! I love my "outdated" radio system (by their standards, by mine standards cutting edge). I play everything off my phone via bluetooth anyway. Also, the 2009 display seems normal to me. Newer systems seem too cumbersome.... I'm not interested in a Tesla interior with a monster LCD. I love looking out my LC window and admiring the road/nature and connecting with the world. Some glitzy head unit would ruin that for me. I am a wannabe overlander who wishes he was in the outback or desert driving crazy.

If the LC just came standard with Apple car play, I think a lot of the car reviewers and customers would overlook the dated body styling, which I think still looks great. Much better than the gaping yaw mouth of the Lexus.

I once had someone tell me that my FJ60 seemed really old and rattly. At the same time we were flying to a river to go fishing. While i was flying us both in my De Havilland Beaver floatplane. Which was built for purpose in 1955. So flash is great but not always useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom