Out of province inspection - JDM Landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone recommend a shop for OOP inspections for landcruisers in the lower mainland?

I just got the ETA for the Landcruiser and would like to start preparing. I would also welcome any recommendations on things that need to be done. As far as I know, I need Daytime running lights, reflective stickers on the side, maybe headlights and tires? I am really hoping I dont have to change the tires :frown:.

Thanks

What model of 'cruiser? Is this coming from Japan or some other province?

If it's an HDJ81, add the BEB "Big End Bearings" to the list.

Changing headlights to DOT approved left hand drive versions, and add the third brake light I think too.

Changing headlights to DOT approved left hand drive versions, and add the third brake light I think too.

Tires might have to change depending on age, condition, and if they are DOT approved.

Yep, Its coming from Japan. Its a 1996 HZJ77. Its RHD.

When I went through that process, a woman at the Motor Vehicle office gave me misinformation.
She told me that the steering in Japan is different and it won't work properly over here. That is
false, although the wheel alignment may need a slight tweak. Make sure you get your facts straight
to avoid being misled.

When I went through that process, a woman at the Motor Vehicle office gave me misinformation.
She told me that the steering in Japan is different and it won't work properly over here. That is
false, although the wheel alignment may need a slight tweak. Make sure you get your facts straight
to avoid being misled.
Ya man. Thats weird. I have herd a bunch of stories like that. I have been reading a bunch on revscene about the inspections but they mainly cater towards cars.

Where did you do your inspection?

If Steve can't do them, he can certainly point you in the right direction. HZJ77, nice!

I had a friend give me an old inspection manual in a 3 ring binder. I know everyone goes
online for everything, but I would think you could find a hard copy in a library. Then
you could actually know factually what you need to do to make it pass the inspection.
Nothing stopping you from doing it all yourself before you pay some guy a bunch of money
to do something you can do yourself, ie: installing correct LHD headlight lenses.

No direct experience, but have heard nothing but positive for the shops work. Not sure their RHD experience but it's a basic out of Province mechanical which they can do. So best to call and have a chat about details though: Ryan at Disturbed Industries Home

And echo the comment to do as much as you can yourself if you have the space/tools/time.

hth's
gb

Don't go by the old CVSE manual. The new manual is the only manual to reference. You can download it from CVSE but you have to pay for that. CVSE still has a PDF on their web page that details what is to closely inspect on a JDM. JS code or E code does not mean a part has to be replaced. DOT does not mean it will pass either. Canada has our own safety standards. Below is the link to the pdf for light and reflector inspection adopted by BC. This is the one that people tend to have problems with. The rest is a standard OOP inspection

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sour...FjALegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3D9_Q3hDWzL3iRGoZobMet

As others have said, I'd recommend taking it home and looking over it first. DRL shouldn't be too hard to rig up in that truck and aside from that:
  • DOT or AS2 markings on the windshield (usually not an issue)
  • DOT markings on the tires and no cracks
  • DOT markings or e-code on the headlights
  • Check the condition of the brakes
  • Make sure the horn works
  • I've only had to put the stickers on the side once (might depend which shop you go to)
  • Since you have solid axles you probably won't have any suspension issues, but check things over anyway (incl. steering)
Of all the places I used to go only one is still open (MFRT in south Vancouver Contacts). They are ok with inspections. They charge more than some other places, but I've found they are generally fair. Give them a call first to confirm, but I'm sure they will be ok with your truck. I think they just avoid cars like Skylines now. Last time I went there they took their time though, so my car was there for about a week and a half. Wasn't an issue for me at the time.

I have no experience with these shops, but others have used them:

• ABC Tireland on Main St. Vancouver
  • Nickel Automotive on Franklin in Vancouver

I'd recommend giving them a call before you take your truck there. Tell them what you have and ask them some questions about what they check for, and cost for an inspection.

I went to Super Steve's Tires in Aldergrove. Highly recommended for anything. Mine was a US to Canada safety inspection though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom