1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on the Lexus SC430?

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by SWUtah, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWUtah

SWUtah

Wanted a SL500 but they cost $20K+ more. The Lexus is high quality and gives you the hard top convertable. The looks are growing on me. Not as pretty as the new SL's but I dodn't have the $$$ for the SL. I think the Lexus will be more reliable. At least that is my experience with Toyota products.

2. carboncycles

carboncycles

IMO Reliable yes...boring in performance and looks...due for a redesign in next few years.

3. e rock

e rock

4. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

known to be very reliable. seems to chew through front tires rather quickly...as I was told by my lexus service tech.

my :princess: wants one...we'll probably get one in a couple years...

I think they're pretty cool. not much leg room in the rear seat, if that matters...

5. SR.GRINGO

SR.GRINGO

My Dad has an 03-- has been perfect with 0 problems. For me it is fun to drive.;)

6. lovemylc

lovemylc

Fun to drive

Wife's LX450 was at the stealership to decode an ABS problem. We drove the brand new (had 30 miles on it) 430 for three days. Very fast. Great pick up. Comfy. I am the reason why you don't want to buy one of the cars from the dealership still titled "new" but has 10,000 miles on it - you don't know how it has been driven.

7. Josh83

Josh83

My neighbor just bought a new black one. It's really pretty. He had a VERY clean SC400 before that.

8. SWUtah

SWUtah

Checked on the price of tires, PZero Nero's are only $149 each from tirerack, so if they are only good for around 20K miles it's not a show stopper. All the Chicks I've asked about the SC love the looks. But looks is a matter of taste. The SC is faster ( 0-60 5.8 sec's ) then the SL ( 0-60 6.1 sec's), but these really aren't performance cars they are luxury hard top convertables. Thanks for the info.

9. VehiculousFJ

VehiculousFJ

Media:
    No chance for more of a sports car feel? How about an M Coupe or Roadster?
    [​IMG]

Maybe a Boxster or Cayman??
    [​IMG]

Hell, I'll even throw this one in here..
    [​IMG]

10. SWUtah

SWUtah

Not the same "class of vehicle" small sports cars. I drove a Cayman, really great sports car, not much luxury. I think the BMW looks like s*** and the mazda in a mazda or is that a honda?? The boxster is a small rag top sports car.

11. VehiculousFJ

VehiculousFJ

Media:
    Hmm.. Maybe the SC is the car for you.

12. Martin White

Martin White

I don't know, there is just something drastically wrong with spending that much money and getting the new MB reliability. There are a lot of very unhappy owners. Except of course for those that have so much cash they own a fleet. If one doesn't work, another will. You rarely if ever hear any of those kinds of concerns from Lexus owners.

13. mudpaws

mudpaws

I second Martin W...Being a former Lex tech, I can say that I don't think I've ever seen an SC in the dealer for anything other than maintenance or an add-on. IMO, however, I think the 02-newer SC430 is purely a summer car, and I don't really care for the look of it.

<-------lover of the first-gen SC3/400

14. SWUtah

SWUtah

I had a 92 SC400 when they first came out. I really liked it. The 2003 SC430 is really growing on me, everyday I own it I like it better. Mine is Black which I think helps the looks. I don't think I would want one in a light color. I really wanted a SL500 with the Lexus reliablity for the SC430 price ($25K less then the SL500) Plus all the women I asked like the SC430 more then the SL500, which is my target audience :). I agree on the reliablity, I go on the Lexus site and none of the SC430 owners have any problems with their cars. Most just talk about mod's and getting rid of their factory run flats.

15. mudpaws

mudpaws

There you go! Yes, speaking of the run-flats, a bunch have thought the ride very harsh and/or the wheels ugly, so they do get rid of them. Lexus has a nice little campaign to reconfigure the trunk to hold a spare. Should you decide to ditch those RE040s, you can get a copy of the "TSB" from Lexus parts that lists every part needed (from Parts Dept.) to do the job. Good stuff!

Enjoy that car!

16. SWUtah

SWUtah

I have the chrome after market wheels that look good, no run flats and I have the small space saver spare that fits in the trunk so I am OK with a flat and I have a good ride with the 245/40/18 PZeros. They are M&S rated but I figure they would only be good for getting me home if it started snowing when I was out in the car. Snow is what LC's are for :)

17. Martin White

Martin White

Well, if you want a sports car in disguise and have the cash, take a long, hard look at the GS series.... beautiful cars. Even the older GS4's were awesome performers, reliable and kinda' Q ship like. Bonus if you want to go fast and NOT attract the wrong kind of attention.

18. SWUtah

SWUtah

I have a buddy that has a old Q45 with the airsuspension, it is a real good performer. I think he now has around 80K miles on it.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.