Opinions on bumper design? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is kinda turning into my build thread for my bumper. Might make a new thread if yall would perfer. just let me know!

My sister hit something in my cruiser and lost the plastic end cap and bent the hanger for the front bumper. So I decided im going to fabricate a bumper for the front. I have two 6.5 ton crosby shackles, which are displayed in the model (found those on grab cad). I wanted to make sure my design could fit a warn 8274.
bumper 1.PNG
I want to add some brush guard tubes like the arb bumpers had, but i figured for now this would do, i want to tuck some lights between the square tubes. So do y'all have any opinions, questions, comments, concerns? Constructive criticism is good when polite, this is my first bumper Ive designed. My goal is quarter inch plate steel for the "box" and quarter inch 2x2 tube.

bumper 1 second.PNG

bumper 1 thrid.PNG

Last edited:
Nice simple design that looks great!

I like how it's different.

1/4" and 2x2 ought to be plenty strong for whatever you feel like bashing into. Looks wise, I think it will look "utilitarian" if I'm being friendly, or "afterthought" if I'm being less friendly since there is no attempt to match the body lines as they curve around at the corners to the wheel arches. If you're going for "tough," it definitely looks tough :D

With the 8274 being so tall, you might want to measure the distance/location from the winch tray at the bottom of the frame rails up into the grille. (if you haven't already) I could see the potential for having to cut up the grille and front valance thingy unless you place the winch out in front.

Nice work :beer:

Also run a weight on the bumper design. I started something similar, all made of heavy plate. Then when I ran weight calcs, I was almost 600 LB. Decided to go back to 3/16.........

It looks fine, if you like it. I think the 1/4 square is overkill. I also find the approx. 10 degree outer points very hard to cut, but maybe that's just me.

Build it how you like, that's what I do.

I can't even fathom why you would want it that heavy. Wow! I did make a 4x6 .25" tube "bumper" for a guys 1 ton Dodge once. He said he was going to fill it with cement for plowing or something...

Your design is interesting looking at least:hmm:

I can't even fathom why you would want it that heavy. Wow! I did make a 4x6 .25" tube "bumper" for a guys 1 ton Dodge once. He said he was going to fill it with cement for plowing or something...

Your design is interesting looking at least:hmm:

I am an idiot, i Had a supressed box of solid steel the outer dimensions of a winch on there. the bumper as displayed only weighs 114 lbs

It looks fine, if you like it. I think the 1/4 square is overkill. I also find the approx. 10 degree outer points very hard to cut, but maybe that's just me.

Build it how you like, that's what I do.

quarter inch is the only size tube solidworks wants me to use. I agree the 10 degree cut is going to be a pain. but i figure if i measure it out really well and take my time and make sure im cutting strait it wouldnt be too terrible

I'd add a spot for the license plate so that you or someone else (plan on selling the bumper or truck) can add a front plate if required and enforced in addition to running a winch. Regarding the overall design, I don't like the openings/ gaps/ slots. Might be personal, but it makes it look too much like something is missing when you can see the "guts." Just my $.02

I'd add a spot for the license plate so that you or someone else (plan on selling the bumper or truck) can add a front plate if required and enforced in addition to running a winch. Regarding the overall design, I don't like the openings/ gaps/ slots. Might be personal, but it makes it look too much like something is missing when you can see the "guts." Just my $.02
I was aiming to tuck some smaller light bars between the gaps. for directional lighting. My dad is pretty keen on keeping the fj so i dont think i front plate will be needed, but if that changes ill just drill some holes to screw a plate down on. I was aiming to have it as a cross over between an arb front end and the bumper i have on my bronco. Just figured simple and tough would be ideal for me.

20140204_184352.jpg

Very cool that you are designing your own...much respect

Because you asked, I don't think it will jive with the 80 lines very much..Those 10 degrees ain't twerkin fer me...the centerpiece is right on..also agreed the quarter inch seems overkill for the weight

So, assuming my measurements are reasonable, i think this should wind up right about at the wheel arch. I will 100% keep the quarter inch for the winch box. The tubes are going to reflect what i can find and what the prices are. In an ideal world i think i would want to have quarter inch tube on the bottom and get some thinner tube for the top. since the bottom would be more likely in my mind to hit something first. also its been a while since ive welded so i figure with thick metal i can really melt it in with out worrying about burning holes

final iteration.PNG

final iteration 2.PNG

Capture 3.PNG

So, assuming my measurements are reasonable, i think this should wind up right about at the wheel arch. I will 100% keep the quarter inch for the winch box. The tubes are going to reflect what i can find and what the prices are. In an ideal world i think i would want to have quarter inch tube on the bottom and get some thinner tube for the top. since the bottom would be more likely in my mind to hit something first. also its been a while since ive welded so i figure with thick metal i can really melt it in with out worrying about burning holes

View attachment 1366515

View attachment 1366516

View attachment 1366517
Just my opinion, I think tying the upper and lower tubes together is a good move. The other thing I would do is to add some plate to the top to close it off, just the tubing sections, don't cover the winch box. It will give it a more finished look, give you a better step (you'll be surprised how useful a front bumper you can stand on is) and it will add a bit of bracing to the tubing sections in the event of a side impact.

I was adding material between the two, I ended up going with 1.5x1.5 tube because i got 12 ft of it for $28. Figure worst case scenario i don't like it and gain extra welding practice. I got all the peices cut and while i was welding the bars together i ended up blowing the GFI in the garage, im torn between being a lazy tenant and making my landlord fix it, or replacing it myself. I chamfered the edges i was going to weld to allow for more flux core to get up in there and really melt it all together \m/ Hopefully i can find some plate steel soon so i can replace my old busted bumper

20161214_220911.jpg

20161214_221008.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom