1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on ALINCO DR-638T

Discussion in 'Communication & Navigation' started by ChaseTruck, Jan 8, 2018.

1. ChaseTruck

ChaseTruck -- SILVER Star

HAM plans are slowly evolving: I have a tech license, and I've signed up with ARES in Baton Rouge. Most of that goes via 2m, but there is (supposedly...) a linked repeater system on 70cm that will be open in case of an emergency. Besides a Baofeng UV-5r, which probably doesn't provide enough power in case of emergency communications, I have a Yaesu FT1900r in the Cruiser - that radio is 2m only. So I think the Yaesu will move into my trail truck in AZ, and the Cruiser in BTR ought to get a dual-band radio.
    In looking around, the ALINCO DR-638T has caught my eye. I would stick with Yaesu, but I didn't see their dual band offerings having cross-band repeat capability, and I don't need the quad band and don't have the license for that, anyways. I'd appreciate input on the ALINCO unit, or other suggestions. I have a dual-band chinese radio in my Amazon cart, but my last experience in going the chinese radio route ended with a same-day return, and I'm not sure I want to waste my time on this again. Thanks for the input.

2. Joel Kasper

Joel Kasper

The ALINCO DR-638Tis a good radio. I have a Kenwood V71 which has a few more options for cross banding and VFO frequencies. I have used it a couple of times when doing APRS on one VFO and 70cm on the other. It is not that big of deal and the ALINCO is a good radio.

Alinco V/U and U/V Kenwood V/V/, V/U and U/U

3. Joel Kasper

Joel Kasper

Another option would be the Icom IC-2730A

4. KliersLC

KliersLC

I think the yaesu 7800 is dual band and can cross band repeat. Good price and it is WIRES capable as well. I have the tyt copy and am pretty happy with the functionality and user interface.

5. Joel Kasper

Joel Kasper

I don't think the 7800 cross band repeats. I just pulled this from the web site. Also a good radio though.

"The FT-7800R is ideal for the amateur who does not require cross-band repeat as found on the FT-8800R and FT-8900R"

6. KliersLC

KliersLC

Indeed. Got my wires crossed. The 8800 and was the radio I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification!

7. ChaseTruck

ChaseTruck -- SILVER Star

Well, it seems the ALINCO unit is (being?) discontinued. I found a a bunch of negative interwebs comments on the Icom unit. So - the Kenwood it is, together with programming cable, and a Diamond antenna + magnetic mount, from Hamcity. Thanks everyone for the input.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 5:18 PM
    Joel Kasper likes this.