oohhhh Jaaasssoooooonnn! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
in the "and it starts" thread, I posted pics of my bumper clevis....well, Jason_M liked them so much, he asked for one....and I had just enuf material at home for ONE! (good thing he changed his mind from the two he originally wanted!

Start by cutting 2 pieces of 3/8" thick steel into a 2" x 2" piece...

step 2 is to bevel 3 edges of the two cut pieces. The center piece is a length of 2" wide x 1/2" thick steel....bevel 6 edges as shown (I used a sanding disc on my 4.5" angle grinder)

step 3, assemble in the vice for welding...the bevels are done to ensure adequate penetration - no surface welding for these babies! You'll be using these with your 8000#+ winch for snatch points, or on the end of a 20-30k snatch strap....no point in chincing on weld quality...

step 4, begin welding....this photo is about 10 seconds after the first pass of the six required. Miller 185 Mig welder, .030 wire, #6 (highest) setting, mixed gas, about a 60 wire speed, and a slight "push" angle with the gun for a flatter but still deep weld.

purty, huh?

once welding is done and she's cooled a bit....it's angle grinder time with the sanding disc. Pic shown has the two verticle sides done, and the end face just started. If your welds are done right, it won't take much...

bout 15-20 seconds of sanding later, and ya outta have something like this...

(80 grit on the grinder/sander BTW)

drilling time...first yer pilot hole, then a 7/8" hole for the screw-type clevis

and finally, a little more smoothing work with the grinder to finish off the rough edges, and you now ready to trim the long end as required. That end should extend about 1/8"-1/4" thru your ENTIRE bumper...my bumper was 2" x 4" tube, so the 2" high x 1/2" wide slot was cut thru both pieces and the clevis extended completely thru.

Jason, you owe me 2nd's on tritip at CM04!

Nice work woody.

BTW I noticed that your vice looks just like your yota -blue old and scratched up

[quote author=tclndcrz link=board=12;threadid=10105;start=msg90039#msg90039 date=1074050656]
Nice work woody.

BTW I noticed that your vice looks just like your yota -blue old and scratched up
[/quote]

Looks like the vice I got at Costco a couple of years ago.

SWEET!!!!!

Gonna go on this..

Still just tacked together. Not sure if I am going to keep the edge protectors or not..

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom