One More Tire Question? Firestone A/Ts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I thought I could make it through one winter with the tires I have, but I'm not getting the traction I need in the snow. All season radial that can be used for occasional off road (sand), towing (5500 lbs) and snow. After researching and talking to a few guys that work their trucks hard, I've come up with Firestone Destination AT LT285/75R16. I'll be running the stock rims. the hundy is a 1998, not lifted, no mods. Center and rear locker.

I want something that will fill the wheel well, and these should fit the bill. question is, will they fit on the stock 16 rims? How will the clearance on the wheel well be? Maybe I should go a size down? 275/70? in that size, I'd have to go to a BF goodrich or a pirelli. Both good - but I have heard that the firestone AT's do everything I am looking for.

Thoughts and comments welcomed.

They will fit without issues.

That said, I had them on a Chevy Suburban. Two separate sidewall failures on Dallas freeways withing a month of each other caused me to s***-can them and replace with Michelin AT's...zero issues with those and two sets on two 'Burbs ran over 80K miles each with normal rotation schedule. When returned at the end of the lease, tread was enough for the lease guy not to hit me with wear and tear crap.

ETA...both failures occured within a month or 2 of leasing the each of the trucks new for work.

My current LX has Toyo AT's with 60K, last time they were rotated Les Schawb manager estimated I have at least 20K remaining.

I know it's only anecdotal, but no more Firestones for me.

Steve

Last edited:
That said, I had them on a Chevy Suburban. Two separate sidewall failures on Dallas freeways withing a month of each other caused me to s***-can them and replace with Michelin AT's...zero issues with those and two sets ran over 80K miles with normal rotation schedule.

My current LX has Toyo AT's with 60K, last time they were rotated Les Schawb manager estimated I have at least 20K remaining.

I know it's only anecdotal, but no more Firestones for me.

Steve

^^^Agree^^^

I had Firestone tires on a F150 years ago. I had two of them blow out on the interstate within a couple of months of each other. Needless to say, when I replaced them, I went with something else.

Some folks may have good luck with Firestone tires, but I didn't and I won't try them again. If they are on a vehicle I buy, I may press my luck and use them, but if I'm spending my money, no way.

I had these tires on a Pathfinder and really liked them. However, search some full size truck forums and you will find some negative feedback. I suspect they are optimized for a lighter truck and you would be disappointed with them on your cruiser.

I would look at the toyo at2, cooper at3/atw and bfg at ko2.

A lot of Canadian tire stores do side by side reviews of different tires. Canadian tire has expert reviews on new tires, and PMCtire.com has expert reviews on many of the older tires.

Tirerack is a good resource for comparing tires. Millions of miles of survey results. The Destination AT is always a top 2 in the AT category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom