Ominous startup sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
*Update* Ominous startup sound

Since yesterday when I crank her, the 2F is making a significant "tak-tak-tak" sound for a couple of seconds. It sounds expensive. My limited knowledge says possibly the valve lifter? Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Only at start up? Hot and cold?

Since yesterday when I crank her, the 2F is making a significant "tak-tak-tak" sound for a couple of seconds. It sounds mennacing and expensive. My limited knowledge says possibly the valve lifter? Any input would be appreciated.

When your oil pressure comes up is the sound gone?

Could be a belt driven accessory....

Only when cold.

sounds like a lifter is bleeding down. it taps for a little while until the pushrods pump it back up.

Could be a belt driven accessory....

Thanks for the reply, Dave. Pretty sure it's from the engine when under the hood and getting the wife to crank it.

cfdlighthouse said:
sounds like a lifter is bleeding down. it taps for a little while until the pushrods pump it back up.

Assuming this is the problem, what is the fix? Is it high priority? Doesn't sound good.

This sounds to me like you're thinking hydraulic lifters, the F engines have solid lifters.

Nilpoc, have the valves been adjusted anytime recently? When you start up, watch the oil pressure gauge and see if the sound goes away right when the pressure comes up. If the sound goes away that quick, I would think it is something in your valve-train. If it lasted longer, I would wonder about it being an exhaust tick.

Also, did the onset of this symptom happen to coincide with an oil filter change? Could be the filter is draining back, and it takes longer for oil to reach the top of the engine than with one that didn't drain while the truck sits.

This sounds to me like you're thinking hydraulic lifters, the F engines have solid lifters.

Nilpoc, have the valves been adjusted anytime recently? When you start up, watch the oil pressure gauge and see if the sound goes away right when the pressure comes up. If the sound goes away that quick, I would think it is something in your valve-train. If it lasted longer, I would wonder about it being an exhaust tick.

Also, did the onset of this symptom happen to coincide with an oil filter change? Could be the filter is draining back, and it takes longer for oil to reach the top of the engine than with one that didn't drain while the truck sits.

solid lifters....did not know... have not begun the engine build aspects so havn't even looked at the parts specs yet. interesting.

well just a thought even with solid lifters, when the engine is cold and you have a sticky lifter, ie crud in the lifter bore you can get a lifter slap until it frees up just takes a few. that can be fixed by taking a quart of oil out of the crankcase and pouring a quart of dextron/mercon in the oil in its place and running it for a little while. the transfluid will deglaze/decarbon/desludge the sticky areas. it won't hurt your seals or the oiling capability of the engine.

good hunting

RockDoc said:
I got to admit something here. It coincided with a "low-oil incident". :censor: embarrassing. Also, I switched from Penzoil dino to Valvoline high-mile synthetic blend. I didn't change the filter this time. You are correct about the sound going away when oil pressure increases.

cfdlighthouse said:
well just a thought even with solid lifters, when the engine is cold and you have a sticky lifter, ie crud in the lifter bore you can get a lifter slap until it frees up just takes a few. that can be fixed by taking a quart of oil out of the crankcase and pouring a quart of dextron/mercon in the oil in its place and running it for a little while. the transfluid will deglaze/decarbon/desludge the sticky areas. it won't hurt your seals or the oiling capability of the engine.
Interesting. I'll do some more reading on this. Might be worth a shot. Thanks.

Seafoam works well in the crankcase to clean up crud also. There are many other products for this purpose on the market as well.

Good Luck-

when it's really cold( 20 and below) i get a noise when starting.it's the starter.no idea if that is whats going on with yours.

ATF

I agree with lighthouse - run some ATF through her. Its essentially pure detergent, so it will clean it out nicely. I wouldn't run it for very long with a full quart of ATF in there, 100 miles at the very most. Then drop the contaminated oil and change the filter, you should consider going to a heavier weight oil like a 10w40 synthetic. Thats about as much as you can do in terms of cheap / easy fix. Next up, I would consider a valve lash job, and if that doesn't work, then you have some surgery to do....

Good luck.

My girl threw a rod today. Looks like a bullet hole through the bottom of my oil pan. I'll try to get some pics later.

My 2F is Double-:censor:ed

Bummed.

Drinking beers.

Damn, that's one nasty surprise. Hope you can track down a good 2F to swap in. Interested to see the pics.

Damn, that's one nasty surprise. Hope you can track down a good 2F to swap in. Interested to see the pics.

Damn x2. sorry dude!!!! sounds like you spun a bearing on the crank and it siezed. probably back to that low oil issue....

Yup. I'm sure that did her in. Dunno how it happened though. Never saw oil in my parking spots.

Assuming the engine won't be salvageable. Guess I'll hear something tomorrow.

Yup. I'm sure that did her in. Dunno how it happened though. Never saw oil in my parking spots.

Assuming the engine won't be salvageable. Guess I'll hear something tomorrow.

might just be able to put in a new crank and bearings, replace the rod if necessary and a new pan and get her running replace the oil pump while your in there. if block is okay!!!! although i have heard you can pick up a used motor pretty reasonably

DUDE! You guys are freaking me out. I think I have that exact same noise at cold start. It only does it when it is really cold, but the sound is loud and scary. It goes away once the engine warms up.

Makes me very nervous.

Nilpoc- I am very sorry to hear about your motor.

DUDE! You guys are freaking me out. I think I have that exact same noise at cold start. It only does it when it is really cold, but the sound is loud and scary. It goes away once the engine warms up.

Makes me very nervous.

Nilpoc- I am very sorry to hear about your motor.

watch your oil pressure. if its a bearing knock on the crank or cam shaft that has spun or worn watch the oil pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom