OME 2.5" plus MAF 30mm spring spacers....good or bad idea? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It isn't the brand which gives an out of level suspension. It is the set-up with the wrong coils for the weight being carried. If you got LW coils all around and then add a big steel front bumper and a winch, then you get a stink bug. If you check the Aussie suspension retailers, the better ones will ask you for all the weight related details and the terrain you wheel/drive in order to ensure they design the best spring/shock combo you can get for your needs. Air bags can also help a lot for accommodating/leveling temporary heavy loads.

I had stock shocks and springs when I got my 81 and it was a bit saggy in the back. ATEB put in OME 2.5" mediums front and rear and it brought my front up about 2.5" and the rear well over 4". There was some sag in my stock rear for sure, so there was more of a correction to be had there, but I still ended up with some stink buggage. I've added a 125lb drawer system to the trunk plus some gear and there's still noticeable stink buggage. I think it looks pretty killer. After my winch install it might look a bit ridiculous though, in which case the spacers up front might be do-able without all the extra adjustments.

you guys are too paranoid. it's just a spacer, 1hr to put in. I say slap em on, and see what happens. if you get vibes or darty steering.. then pull em out. no loss except a couple hours if your time. if not, then enjoy the cheap upgrade and no stinkbug.

every 80 is different. there are some with 3.5"+ lifts running on just ome cc bushings. no dc, or plates. there are also others that just have the 2.5" and needed more caster correction than the ome bushings provide.

adjustable panhards do nothing except provide a visually appealing axle alignment stance. many on 5" have stock panhards. sure it may look odd, but if it ain't broke, why try to fix it.

fwiw if you want to put longer shocks up front, you can get stud extenders. I've got them on my oe replacement bilstein hd's since they're only good for about a 2-2.5" lift. and I'm on at least 4-5". extended brake lines are nice... and if you don't want to run stainless... you can use the tundra lines. bolt
on, oem, and cheap if you go trough cdan.

and almost all ome 'kits' have 1" less height up front than the rear. that's why you always see oddball combos like j's up front and heavies out back. or heavies + spacer up front.

no issue with mine heavy front med. rear 30 mm spacers,all around, but i do have the caster cor .bushings ,and L shocks.have run with the same set up on two cruisers with no cast. cor.a little wondering in the ruts though.thinking Js up front next with disconects. i have had same arb bumber and 10 k winch withy amsteel on every truck also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom