Builds Ole Blue 60 gets a fresh start- EFI and more (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dune day with the OddBall80s little brother

F07C008A-F59B-419C-9D4B-2906417EDE32.jpeg

Took Ole Blue on a 300+ mile loop to south Mississippi on Sunday. It was hot as balls all day and the anemic AC kept up with it all pretty good.
IMG_2858.jpeg

IMG_2865.jpeg
IMG_2864.jpeg

I was 20 miles from home and felt a little rumble in the driveline. Being fairly fresh off the exploding driveshaft I made a plan to make sure the joints were greased when I got home and then BOOM the rear tire exploded.
A8752964-84DC-4D22-9AC4-7FF67DDA100F.jpeg

I guess the rumble was me running it on a flat and I could not tell.
IMG_2955.jpeg

Should have pulled over but it was hot as hell and I was 🤏 close to home.

$350 up in smoke

I'm concerned as that tire is new. Was it you, the trail, or the tire?

Driving 70 on a flat tire will do it to any tire. I heard something but didn’t stop to see what it was

A few weeks back when I installed the @lcwizard Ubolt flip kit I realized one of the front plates had fallen out of the box. He quickly sent me out another plate but then his desert caught on fire and the USPS got delayed. They showed up Friday so I installed the front flip kit along with a set of 4* caster shims from @orangefj45. I’ve got 5* positive caster now and it almost steers itself. Zero wander. Zero kick going over huge bumps
View attachment 2714752
View attachment 2714755
While I was in there I went ahead and yanked the small spring out of the bottoms of the pack to see if I could get the front down just a hair more.
View attachment 2714754
Turns out that was the magic to get my steering perfect and my stance just like i like it with no air in the rear bags. I took a couple clicks of rebound out while it was on the rack and took it for a drive. Man. Perfection these MRRs and Dobinsons springs are perfect now.
View attachment 2714753

View attachment 2714752

Nolan, are the 4* shims for the caster only used on the front or do they need to go on the rear as well? About to order some and wanted to make sure I have the right quantity. Thanks!

Nolan, are the 4* shims for the caster only used on the front or do they need to go on the rear as well? About to order some and wanted to make sure I have the right quantity. Thanks!
Front only

I’ve been in the 80 all summer. That Saudi AC just laughs at the Mississippi heat. Then it blew a condenser ORing so I am in the 60 the last week. Today I decided to take a 1/2 day off and went to get the best road trip burger around. It finally rained last night…first in 8 weeks. The gravel roads were perfect

IMG_4278.jpeg

IMG_4279.jpeg

Sir Nolen - With all your amazing upgrades and swap-outs, I'm wondering what your GVW is, say, as we see Ole Blue in post #1477? Guess I would have specify with a near-empty fuel tank?

Sir Nolen - With all your amazing upgrades and swap-outs, I'm wondering what your GVW is, say, as we see Ole Blue in post #1477? Guess I would have specify with a near-empty fuel tank?
My Pig was similarly built and I think it was 5700#

Thanks for that. My main concern is the weight of all that 80 mil Noico. Stock curb weight is spec'd at 4246# (probably dry). Sure like the idea though.
I bought an AFI several years ago and I'm getting ready for surgery. The patient ('87 FJ60) is completely stock, down to the last vacuum line, and dying of the usual pulmonary failure. I'm also really stoked at the idea of a 40 gallon tank (speaking of weight!).
My question is, do I want Mosley's in-tank fuel pump version, or stick with the external pump provided by AFI?
Daaayumm, I sure love those seats!!!

I would not be in the least bit concerned about the weight of the Noico.

External pumps are fine as long as you mount them close to the tank so they don’t have to work too hard pulling. They like to push.

I would not be in the least bit concerned about the weight of the Noico.

External pumps are fine as long as you mount them close to the tank so they don’t have to work too hard pulling. They like to push.
Nother question: during de-smog, folks seem to be routing the PCV hose to the original fitting on the outside of the manifold. I am assuming they are blocking off the other input to this fitting? Used to go to EGR stuff? Is there a reason they are not using a different (now unused) port on the manifold? Seems it would be cleaner to not use the iron fitting. Missing something?
EGR-PCV.JPG

...and plug the big port that used to go to the EGR system?

Or buy the desmog kit from MAF. (You'll need an idler replacement for the smog pump.)

1702584306207.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom