Old Beach Cruisers (bikes) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think it'd be cool to have an old beach cruiser, but don't know anything about them.

Anyone know anything about them?

Who were the manufacturers?

What should I look for?

School me on these bikes...

Brian

old beach cruiser = rusty

and stay away from Deebo!

deebo.jpg

the traditional beach cruiser is typically under 100 bucks, go to Wal-Mart and look for a huffy or something of that ilk. if yer looking for a new retro cruiser go to a bike shop.

I'm ideally looking for a true vintage one and not an new one.

AZkick-n40 said:
I'm ideally looking for a true vintage one and not an new one.

You might try ebay, or look to bike-centric communities. Crested Butte, CO comes to mind. Friggin' millionaire trust fund babies up there tool around town in rusty old 3-speed cruisers.

Try craigslist under San Diego -- Should be several there.

I think you'll need a pair of round turtle shell spectacles, a loaf of French bread, and a beret to cruiser on that thing. NTTIATWWT

beaufort-fj60 said:
I think you'll need a pair of round turtle shell spectacles, a loaf of French bread, and a beret to cruiser on that thing. NTTIATWWT

I am more of an Oakley, sourdough, and Araco/TEQ baseball hat guy.

I like this bike but not quite the one.

This is mine, got the frame from a used sporting goods shop and built it with random components from the bike shop I work at. I can carry a 2-4 of beer and ice in the trailer and the grip on the right is my throttle. I've found some gems at the dump as well, you just need to keep your eyes open.

bike003.jpg

cdnroofrack said:
This is mine, got the frame from a used sporting goods shop and built it with random components from the bike shop I work at. I can carry a 2-4 of beer and ice in the trailer and the grip on the right is my throttle. I've found some gems at the dump as well, you just need to keep your eyes open.

bike003.jpg

Classic - love the throttle and banana seat! All you are missing is the steering wheel.

Brian

When people point to the throttle and ask, "what's that?" I tell them it's my chevy 350. I made extensions for the sissy bars with old ski poles and it's a 6 speed.

Electra is one of the bigger names that makes off the shelf cruisers. A little too boring for me, I would rather have something custom I built myself or go fully vintage. First Flight Bikes is one of the larger collectible bike shops in the states and they usually have some interesting rides for sale too.

cdnroofrack said:
When people point to the throttle and ask, "what's that?" I tell them it's my chevy 350. I made extensions for the sissy bars with old ski poles and it's a 6 speed.

Electra is one of the bigger names that makes off the shelf cruisers. A little too boring for me, I would rather have something custom I built myself or go fully vintage. First Flight Bikes is one of the larger collectible bike shops in the states and they usually have some interesting rides for sale too.

Went to the Firstflight website and didn't see anything that fit. Also went to the Electra website and they have some cool stuff. Love to find something similar to their cruisers but vintage.

Do you know any manufacturers and model names?

Thanks for your help,

Brian

CJF said:
Um...

Is that a RAT on/in your bicycle??? :eek:

Don't worry, the cat will find it eventually.

Schwinn was the biggest manufacturer of beach cruisers that I know of. I would ask around at some of the shops where you are too. I remember reading about a good MTB scene in Flagstaff, you need to dig if you wnat to find that special ride.

You could try asking on the vintage forum on MTBR here http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom