oilpan drop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I've been trying to replace that notorius rear main seal... and I've taken poser's help into consideration. I have a fresh oil pan gasket ready for re-assembly, but I can't get the damn thing down. It's really sticking. I tried using a block of wood and a hammer as some persuation, but it didn't loosen it up. I've tugged on it a bunch, but I end up moving the whole engine. I don't want to do any prying... it would leave me with a big problem. Any suggestions?? Thanks.
fj60 1984 2f

Putty knife/thin gasket scrapers and a small hammer..

Be cautious on the pass side in the middle, as the oil pump is there, when you get the pan down, you will see what I mean.

Work the scrapers around, little by little, seperating the gasket from the pan and block. Do not pry down on the pan, as you will bend the lip, and it will not seat and seal correctly again. After i get an area of the gasket seperated from the pan and block, I put a bit longer bolt in so that in the event that the pan does drop free, it will not fall and cause more problems.

Good luck!

-Steve

Here's what I was told to do, and it worked great for me. Remove all the pan bolts. Then replace four of them with longer ones from the hardware so that they are an inch or so below the oilpan flange (to catch it). Then get a 2x4 about 10-12" long and a scisors jack. Place the 2x4 against the oilpan on the left (drivers)side near the top and place the jack between the board and the frame. Apply just enough pressure with the jack to keep it all in place. Then go have a beer, come back and give it a turn or two. Keep this up a little at a time until the pan pops off. It took mine a couple of days to let go. You dont want to bend it, just apply pressure to break the bond. It worked very well, then you can clean off the gasket surface and procede. Warning!!! resist all temptation to bang on the skid plate with anything, you will break the spotwelds and it will leak oil from between the plate and the pan bottom. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom