Oil pressure gauge reading? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 2003 Land Cruiser with 139'000 miles. Very clean with all maintenence records from the previous two owners. I have a question on the oil pressure gauge readings. I've read that the gauge is an actual reading rather than the typical dummy gauge most vehicles have. Want to know if this is normal or something to check into.

Gauge has run between the bottom mark to just above 1/4. Typically running down the highway it will run right at the bottom mark. In town or if I work the rpm's up it will run up to the 1/4 to slightly above.

I'm attaching there pics. The first is going down the highway the others were in town.

Thanks for any insight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442536136.773161.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442536146.872358.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442536157.857078.jpg

Run a search here on MUD using the term "oil pressure gauge". You'll get 142 hits that will provide some insights that may help. The photos from yours show an odd pattern, higher rpm = lower pressure? Or maybe that's just an illusion of the angle.

That is what the pictures show but is actually the opposite. Rpm's just happened to be down when I took the pics.

Had done a search on that and found that some lower readings were acceptable but this is just made me a little nervous.

Mine did that with 67,000 miles on it and I recently replaced it. Now it's normal and I'm not constantly on my toes about having low oil pressure.

I'm guessing you've checked to make sure you weren't low on oil? Idk, my 2006 oil pressure gauge seems to stay between 1/4 and 1/2 at all times...which is normal based on what I've read. I think yours seems pretty low. I'd have it checked...maybe it's a sensor? Not sure.

Oil is good.

Anybody know the part number for the oil pressure sender?

This will be the problem with your pressure gauge reading. Just out of interest, is your engine failure light on?

Obviously can't discount the possibly your pressure sender is dodgy, but since you said you've recently purchased the vehicle you may not have had the chance to see what the pressure reads with a known good filter (Toyota OEM for example) and known good oil like Castrol Edge 5W-30 ( it's marginally more viscous than M1).

Not promoting an oils v oil or filter v filter thing just saying that if it were mine I'd like to see if baselining the filter and oil changes things. Dunno, maybe you're running fresh M1 and a new 209 filter (like many of us, self included) and if that's the case then yes, your pressure gauge reading does seem slightly on the low side.

Last edited:
Replaced the oil sender (toyota) today. Gauge runs right around 1/2 now. Fluctuated right above and below that now. Much better.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442617036.668571.jpg

Thanks for all the replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom