Off Topic but looking for some slag glass. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To anyone up north that may have those rock places that sale all types of rocks could you stop by( if you have time) and see if they have any "slag glass"? It is big chunks of glass in rock form that is multi-colored almost like marble. I have heard most of these rock selling places have it but I am a long ways from any of those. It should look like a big chunk of funky looking glass. If you go by any of these places and they have some will you let me know and how much they are selling it for? I may get someone to pick me some up if you would be kind enough. Thanks alot.

I have seen that but supposedly you can get big chunks fromt those rock places up in N ga. I need big piece because I am going to start knapping and I want to make somehting out of it once I get good and also I know someone who is good and can make me something out of it that would be a great present.
It takes a decent chunk to make a point out of and I am not sure how big those pieces would come in.

Knapping is basically the art of making Arrowheads or points or blades like Indians made. JFYI for those who do not know.

flint aka chert

army taco,

Lots of flint or better known by geologists as chert in NW Georgia but not all knappable.........South Georgia has the best chert to me due to its size and range of color. Chert outcrops are around but on private or state owned property. PM Flintknapper (he's usually found in the Hunting and Fishing section and he may know of other sources to purchase). Knappers I've met usually purchase material and some even use flat glass, bottle glass etc. Seems like many like to purchase vermiculite to knap with. If you can find somebody with access to obsidian you'll be in hog heaven. HTH, dave------if I can find something sizable and decent I will PM you to send it your way

I have seen that but supposedly you can get big chunks fromt those rock places up in N ga. I need big piece because I am going to start knapping and I want to make somehting out of it once I get good and also I know someone who is good and can make me something out of it that would be a great present.
It takes a decent chunk to make a point out of and I am not sure how big those pieces would come in.

Knapping is basically the art of making Arrowheads or points or blades like Indians made. JFYI for those who do not know.

I'll be in Helen on Sunday floatin' the hooch, see if I cant help ya out!

I'll be napping this weekend. no knapping though.

Thanks everyone. I have found some big chunks of flint but I want some of this mutli color slag glass for something special.

Thanks everyone. I have found some big chunks of flint but I want some of this mutli color slag glass for something special.

scored you a small piece today, a little bigger than you fist. It's dark almost purple I think. PM me an address and I'll drop it in the mail.

Ted, What is this stuff you scored for Army Taco? You've got my curiousity up now. I have seen slag from kilns and from industrial furnaces but wondered what you came across. Thanks, Dave

Ted, What is this stuff you scored for Army Taco? You've got my curiousity up now. I have seen slag from kilns and from industrial furnaces but wondered what you came across. Thanks, Dave

It sounds like you hit the nail. Since I know nothing about glass or rocks or any combination of the two I'm told the "slag" is just glass left at the bottom of a kiln after a firing, apparently the kilns are cleaned out only occasionally. I think the little rock stands you see along the roads in N. Georgia just buy it in bulk or by the barrel and throw it out on tables for suckers like me,uh, I mean ArmyTaco.

Yeah its the left overs but since it is that it is usually different colors and patterns or solid colors. Makes some nice looking stuff. I want to have two bird points knapped for me and my wife for a necklace. I do not want to here anything out of yall about matching:flipoff2:

Heres a link with a couple pieces knapped out of slag glass.

Thanks Nicodemus!!! - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

armytaco,

I have a piece of smokey white slag that I think would work for your knapping. Its thinned out on one side and roughly 3" L x 2" wide. PM me your address and I will send it your way, Dave

Last edited:
I was going to let you know about Nic, looks like you already found the forum. Nic is a great guy to deal with and a great teacher.

Yeah I actually talked to him this weekend at the Outdoor Blast. Was gonna have that piece Ted found for me knapped but hes slackin on getting it to me. So I did not get to sit and watch him knock it out for me. I did watch him knap another one out. I am just going to send it to him whenever Ted figures out how to use the Postal service..:flipoff2:

i hear ya, I went to the blast on sun and hung out with the knife makers guild guys. the show was ok, wouldn't have gone but I had some trading to do for a gun barrel.

Yeah I was already in Macon and had to stop by and say hey to everyone. It was on my way out back to Ft. Stewart.

I am still waiting Ted....I might have to get you to send it to Macon if this keeps on. I won't be here long enough for you to get it down here.:meh::D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom