OEM cable locker and front manual locker

good day to all.

My unit is a 1987 BJ71 13bt MT with factory front and rear differential cable locker.

Front tires has Aisin manual hub locker.

How does these two differ? how these two works on my LC70.

It has H4 push button.

If i want to engaged the front wheel drive i just manually lock the front locker by turning it in lock position. Then moved the shift lever to either H4(push button on the dash) H2 or L4.

what about the front and rear cable differential locker how does it work with this set up?

You are confusing differential locking with locking a hub or wheel.

The cable lockers lock the differential so both axles are engaged and turn at the same time - as opposed to an open differential just allows the tire with the least amount of traction to turn with engine power (so you can turn on pavement without stressing the driveline for example).

The manual hubs on the ends of the axle hubs simply lock the hub assembly, which is attached to the tire, those allow you to drive without the front driveline engaged to minimize driveline wear.

When you push the 4wdH button it automatically locks the electric wheel hubs and the vacuum switches the transfer case to 4wd high. This has nothing to do with differential locking - like with cables.

The acronym "4wd" can be misleading because if you own a 4wd with open differentials then it is really a 2wd with one wheel in the front and one in the back that is powered while in 4wd. On the otherhand a 4wd with lockers can lock all 4 wheels so they all turn at the same time.

Did I explain that well enough? Hmmm, time to make a video:)

thanks ishobie. please correct me if my understanding is wrong. you are a big help man.

(Im just thinking of a situation wherein only 3-tire has ground contact and one of the front tire has no traction)

1. so if i just pull the front diff lock lever inside the car towards me....
- and not manually lock the the two hubs assembly outside the car
- and also not pushing the H4 button ( of course the trnsfer case will not engage)

i will only lock the front differential and only the two axle will turn at the same time. But the two front tires are still freely rotating idependently since they are not lock to the axle.

2. then if i just pull the front diff lock lever inside the car towards me....
- this time pushing the H4 button to engage the transfer case...

now... the two front axles will turn as a single unit at the same time and equal power since transfer case is now engaged.
But if one of the tire has no traction or not in contact with the ground, it will get all the engine power since one of the front tire is stuck and the assembly hub is not manually lock?

So the way i understand it, the function of locking the assembly hub is to engaged or lock the two tires to the axle so both axle and tire will rotate at the same time as a single unit?

and function of the cable diff lock is only to lock the differential to both axle, and does not necessarily mean that i engaged the two tire( if i did not lock the hub manually)

And by not locking the assembly hub its only the two axle will rotate the same time and equal power.

Last edited:

ForealBoreal

Cummins Boostin
You will have to engage the rear diff lock before the front.
If you can't get through with just a rear put the front on.

You will need to have the front HUBs turned into the lock position and the H4 to be pushed.

Locking your hubs and engaging the H4 will give you power to the front wheels and put you into 4x4.

thanks ishobie. please correct me if my understanding is wrong. you are a big help man.

(Im just thinking of a situation wherein only 3-tire has ground contact and one of the front tire has no traction)

1. so if i just pull the front diff lock lever inside the car towards me....
- and also not pushing the H4 button ( of course the trnsfer case will not engage)

i will only lock the front differential and only the two axle will turn at the same time. But the two front tires are still freely rotating idependently since they are not lock to the axle.

2. then if i just pull the front diff lock lever inside the car towards me....
- this time pushing the H4 button to engage the transfer case...

now... the two front axles will turn as a single unit at the same time and equal power since transfer case is now engaged.
But if one of the tire has no traction or not in contact with the ground, it will get all the engine power since one of the front tire is stuck and the assembly hub is not manually lock?

So the way i understand it, the function of locking the assembly hub is to engaged or lock the two tires to the axle so both axle and tire will rotate at the same time as a single unit?

and function of the cable diff lock is only to lock the differential to both axle, and does not necessarily mean that i engaged the two tire( if i did not lock the hub manually)

And by not locking the assembly hub its only the two axle will rotate the same time and equal power.

You will need to have the front HUBs turned into the lock position and the H4 to be pushed.

if i do this, the both tires will be engaged in both axle then by pushing the H4 button it will engage the transfer case and power the front wheel right? will both front tire rotate at the same time as one unit?

what about the front diff lock lever?

ForealBoreal

Cummins Boostin

if i do this, the both tires will be engaged in both axle then by pushing the H4 button it will engage the transfer case and power the front wheel right? will both front tire rotate at the same time as one unit?

what about the front diff lock lever?

With the hubs locked and the h4 pushed this will engage the transfer case to put power to the front tires. The tires will spin at different speeds when cornering. Locked they will turn the exact same becuase the differential is locked. The differential will be unlocked making the tires spin unevenely.

The front diff lock leaver will LOCK the differential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom