Odd Sound Coming From 60 Compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, I installed my new (used) compressor the other day and installed all new belts today and drove the 60 for about 20 minutes. When I parked back in the garage, it sounded like something was boiling at the compressor; kind of a "hissing" sound that lasted about 30 seconds. I am only running the compressor clutch, since I have not charged it with R12 yet. I do not have the compressor wiring connected and the A/C button is off. What could that sound be?

Are you sure the thing didn't click on for some reason and you didn't know about it? Sounds like some sort of pressure has been built up in the system - hard to say without hearing it though. If there's oil in the system, it'll make some noise.

You know that an R12 charge of the system is going to cost you half a trillion dollars, right? Have you considered converting to R134a? It's cheap and way easier. I'm about to do it to my truck for the third time in a day or two, but only because I'm stupid and screw with things before I really know what's going on (have added WAY too much oil to the system). I don't learn by doing, I learn by screwing things up - bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom