October Club Run - Mohave Trail, October 14-17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We don't have an "official" club communications platform, though Brent is correct - it seems that most of the newer members are gravitating towards Ham. Some of the older members also seem to be transitioning away from CB to Ham. We also have a few club members who have GMRS/Rugged Radios. If you don't have anything at this time, don't worry. My plan is to have the trail leaders in communications with the "tail-gunners" to help keep the groups together. If you do get around to buying something in the future, I'd suggest Ham. Everyone I've talked to says the license test isn't difficult with just a little bit of preparation.

I ditched my old CB and went to a handheld Ham radio (Baofeng 5 watt, so it's not very powerful) and connected it to an exterior mount antenna (that helps extend the range and make up for the fact that it's a weak radio). So far, I'm happy with the performance of my set-up. It's cost-effective and doesn't require mounting a radio anywhere in the truck. I hope this helps!
With my handheld ham, I do not have access to the frequency that most will be using . Maybe on the Fri morning when we meet at the trailhead head we can discuss another frequency a frequency?
FYI

Marc

With my handheld ham, I do not have access to the frequency that most will be using . Maybe on the Fri morning when we meet at the trailhead head we can discuss another frequency a frequency?
FYI

Marc
You just have a rugged/GMRS radio then don't you? 146.xxx is all standard 2M ham band frequency. Any cheap chinese ham or standard US ham radio that's 2M can get that frequency.

I will bring 3 Kenwood TH-G71 HT's( dual band Handy Talkies) that I can loan, each with a fully charged spare battery. At the end of the day, I can recharge the batteries with my mobile battery charger. Now comes the ethical question- Who ever borrows them "should be" licensed ham radio operators...
What is the consensus amongst the other members that are licensed?? Ok for them to use the radios?? Perhaps this will inspire other TLC members to get their Technicians license??

I have an HT I can loan with a recharge cradle that can plug into a cig lighter plug.

I'm a rule follower and would prefer licensed, however this gets trampled on all the time with the availability of cheap chinese HT'S on Amazon with no check for a valid call sign like Ham Radio Outlet does.

Last edited:
Thanks. I did pick up a GMRS and a Ham but I will not be licensed and up to speed by Thursday. Still. It’s something to have in the kit.
Congratulations on the radio purchases! You are legally allowed to monitor all Ham radio channels, but you may not legally transmit without a license (though, I've never yet seen a Ham radio policeman...) unless it's an emergency.

CAMPFIRE UPDATE A/O 10/13/21!!!

Per the BLM website:

As of October 12, 2021, by order of the Superintendent, the following Restrictions are in effect:​

• Fires are allowed only in prexisting fire rings and containers. Do not make new fire rings in Mojave National Preserve.
  • Collecting firewood and kindling in the preserve are prohibited. Bring your own firewood
  • Fires need to be put out cold before leaving your campsite... Do not leave any fire unattended
  • No charcoal or wood fires may be lit during windy conditions in Mojave National Preserve
I'll bring my above-ground Pop-Up fire pit, and a bit of wood. If anyone else has wood, or additional "fire containers", please feel free to bring them!

...a d for the bad news subject to your own interpretation. I am not the mask police. Just found this on the Avi site while checking out amenities, etc.
Screenshot_20211013-190805_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20211013-190404_Chrome.jpg

...a d for the bad news subject to your own interpretation. I am not the mask police. Just found this on the Avi site while checking out amenities, etc.
View attachment 2811848

View attachment 2811849
Thanks, Brent! Hopefully, the restaurants at the Avi will be open. If not, we'll just have to punt. We may need to drive a bit farther into Laughlin for dinner. And, frankly, I don't think anyone in this group is in danger of wasting away from one missed breakfast - worst case scenario...

The basic cafe is open as is their 'nice' restaurant and their fast food court with Panda Express, Subway, etc. The buffet is not open. All this from their site today.

Glad it didn't let go on the drive home and you are safe and ok!!!

Everyone on the Mojave Road run, thanks for a great time!! Ran all the way home with my souvenir in my tire. YES it was slowly leaking when I pulled it.
Hey Chris, this is John, glad you made it home ok. It was great hanging with you on the run. Just in case you want to get in touch my email is bushwick51@yahoo.com. Stay well hopefully see you at the next meeting.

I created a google photos link to add everyones pictures to so that we can share.

I want to thank everyone for making this trip one of the my most memorable moments of 2021! I can't wait for the next club run.

Send pics if anyone has my rig coming down this obstacle.

I lost a nut on the passenger side UCA. No issues until this morning.

IMG_0570.jpg

Always a good idea to crawl under the rig and take a wrench with you after trips like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom