Occasional utility trailer dumping: use hi-hift jack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like many others I'm considering a trailer build to be used for utility use in addition to recreation. What about a hi-lift mount on the tongue to use for dumping a single-axle trailer? Anyone seen this?

You'd have to chock the wheels, of course. I'd rather not build a trailer with the added expense and complexity of a pivot and hydraulic mechanism, etc. just for the occasional dump.

You'd think this would work especially well with the sloped rears seen on a lot of trailers intended for offroading, allowing you to lift as high as you dare.

One of the only issues I can think of is what happens when the load shifts so that it's all in the rear? This is, of course, no small concern.

Sure it would work, just not as controlled once you reach the momentum shift point. It is a pretty good idea I think.

Rezarf <><

Yep, that's how I've unloaded firewood and gravel (separate loads) outta mine. No pix, didn't bother to fab anything up, just put the hi-lift under the tongue & start lifting. Watch out for that tip point, and be sure the chocks are adequate for the weight.

If you notice the trailer in my sig, it pivots on the axle. The frame is hinged above the axle. Drop the back of the trailer to the ground and back up. works just like a semi dump trailer.

Like many others I'm considering a trailer build to be used for utility use in addition to recreation. What about a hi-lift mount on the tongue to use for dumping a single-axle trailer? Anyone seen this?

You'd have to chock the wheels, of course. I'd rather not build a trailer with the added expense and complexity of a pivot and hydraulic mechanism, etc. just for the occasional dump.

You'd think this would work especially well with the sloped rears seen on a lot of trailers intended for offroading, allowing you to lift as high as you dare.

One of the only issues I can think of is what happens when the load shifts so that it's all in the rear? This is, of course, no small concern.

I bought an M101 and an M101A1. I use the A1 for all of my utility trailer needs as it dumps and am planning a wheeling/camping trailer conversion for the M101.

Here is a pic of the M101A1.

trailerDump.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom