OBX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alk747triodad

SILVER Star
Threads
FWIW

May 24, 2012
Dear Friend,
Thank you for contacting me regarding the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Off-Road Vehicle Management Plan. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue.
Cape Hatteras National Seashore was authorized as the nation's first national seashore in 1937, and has been managed by the National Park Service (NPS) for more than 50 years. The Seashore is a key part of North Carolina's coastal economy and a favorite destination for beachgoers from around the country. The beaches of Hatteras Island are among the nation's best because they offer an opportunity for visitors to enjoy a natural landscape largely untouched by human development. To do so, however, many park visitors utilize Off Road Vehicles (ORVs) to access the remote recreational areas of the island.
Over the past few years, the NPS has worked to develop an ORV management plan. The final plan was published on January 23, 2012 and went into effect on February 15, 2012. The rule requires all visitors to have an ORV special use permit to operate a vehicle on the designated ORV routes at the seashore. An annual ORV permit costs $120 and a 7-day permit will cost $50.
While I fully support efforts to protect all of North Carolina's coastlines, I believe the final ORV rule did not strike the necessary balance between protecting the environment and the needs of the local community. It is for this reason that I co-sponsored the Preserving Access to Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area Act (S.2372), which would overturn the NPS rule and reinstate the 2007 Interim Management Strategy to govern visitor access and species protection in the Recreational Area.
I will continue to work with all parties to come up with a balanced solution that provides access to the Hatteras seashore and protects the environment.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. It is truly an honor to represent North Carolina in the United States Senate, and I hope you will not hesitate to contact me in the future should you have any further questions or concerns. If you would like to stay informed on my work in the Senate, you can sign up for my e-newsletter, follow me on Twitter at @SenatorHagan, or visit my Facebook page.
Sincerely,

Kay R. Hagan
Please do not reply to this email. Instead, if you have further questions, please visit Kay Hagan | U.S. Senator for North Carolina and fill out my web form for your inquiry. Thank you.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom