NV4500 Teardown Video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like that guy. He's real sharp. Especially with autos.

I rebuilt many hundreds of these back when those trucks were the primary hotshot rigs around 2000-2005. I still do them for friends and family now and then.

A couple notes in addition to what he said in the video-

Check the 5th gear shift rod, the bore it fits through in the case and the fit of 5th shift fork on that shaft. If anything wiggles you need to replace it. Some of these NV4500's have been rebuilt 5+ times over a million miles by now leading to wear in strange places. I will bore and sleeve the case back to a tight fit on a new shaft, but you can also buy new cases. Especially check this stuff very carefully if the trans has any history of popping out of 5th.

Use a 1635-2RS sealed pilot bearing. Any machine shop can install it in a flywheel that uses the needle bearing or you can buy a Sachs NFW7223 for pretty cheap on Rockauto. I recommend using an SKF C3 grade bearing. Don't just use China junk bearings. A good bearing properly installed will outlast the truck here and eliminate the feeling that the clutch is dragging during a shift common to the needle bearings.

Spec for shaft clearances is 2 to 10 thou. If you slap it together and call it good enough at 10 thou that NV4500 will not last a good long life. It will not shift as crisp as a tighter set unit. I spend the time to set both shafts right at 2 thou. This is paramount if you are putting big power through the tranny. The more clearance, the more the gears deflect under power, the less the load is balanced across the full gearteeth leading to broken teeth. NV4500's break the teeth off the input and cluster gears under high power. The more clearance the easier they break. Do not set them less than 2 thou endplay. They must have endplay to survive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom