North Rim Camping? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going on a little excursion up north next month and had planned to get a permit for camping at Toroweap Overlook but their 2-vehicle limit per site is causing a problem, anyone have any leads on spots that are nearby with views but outside the park? If not I'm sure a little exploration will turn up a place.

Darlene and I were up there last year near end of season. Went out to Crazy Jug, but camped further in from the Rim. Gorgeous up there but COLD at night, went down to 18 one night! Not sure about spots right ON the Rim but you could do a primitive spot just about anywhere. We saw like nobody.

Darlene and I were up there last year near end of season. Went out to Crazy Jug, but camped further in from the Rim. Gorgeous up there but COLD at night, went down to 18 one night! Not sure about spots right ON the Rim but you could do a primitive spot just about anywhere. We saw like nobody.

Could do with some COLD! Yeah, I figure anywhere out of the Park is fair game but was hoping to have a specific coordinate for the night, but it looks like we'll be exploring! I've been up around Mt. Trumbull before so may head up that direction to sleep after viewing the Overlook.

I got a nice large spot in the trees on a meadow if you want to have as a option. No epic views, but great meadow view. I got another one more tucked in the forest too as a backup to your backup. No epic views on either though.

IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

Check out the Point Sublime area. There is a forest road that parallels the rim and tons of camping options within a short walk to the rim. There are a few right along the rim. There is a primitive campground at Point Sublime. The Kanab Creek area is nice too. BLM land bordering a wilderness area. Tons of BLM roads and hiking trails. Another thumbs up for the Crazy Jug area. There is a primitive campground and plenty of options for dispersed camping. The Bill Hall Trail is over there that goes into the canyon, worth going down a few miles or so for a day hike. West of Toroweap is the Parashant area. Really isolated and should be able to find an elevation that is just right temperature wise. I haven't been there in years so can't comment on the roads. It is super nasty out there when wet.

In all honesty, if you don't need water or toilets it is really hard to go wrong up there. Pretty easy to get away from humans up there. I haven't ever camped up there during hunting season, so I don't know how quiet it will be. One of my favorite things is to take a mountain bike and just explore the forest roads along the rim or do day hikes with no real plan.

Check out the Point Sublime area. There is a forest road that parallels the rim and tons of camping options within a short walk to the rim. There are a few right along the rim. There is a primitive campground at Point Sublime. The Kanab Creek area is nice too. BLM land bordering a wilderness area. Tons of BLM roads and hiking trails. Another thumbs up for the Crazy Jug area. There is a primitive campground and plenty of options for dispersed camping. The Bill Hall Trail is over there that goes into the canyon, worth going down a few miles or so for a day hike. West of Toroweap is the Parashant area. Really isolated and should be able to find an elevation that is just right temperature wise. I haven't been there in years so can't comment on the roads. It is super nasty out there when wet.

In all honesty, if you don't need water or toilets it is really hard to go wrong up there. Pretty easy to get away from humans up there. I haven't ever camped up there during hunting season, so I don't know how quiet it will be. One of my favorite things is to take a mountain bike and just explore the forest roads along the rim or do day hikes with no real plan.

Thanks, this is a lot of good information. Right now planning 1-2 nights in Kanab and then over to Toroweap area for a night. I've camped at Toroweap before but haven't explored the area much besides that, so looking forward to seeing what's around.

Thanks, this is a lot of good information. Right now planning 1-2 nights in Kanab and then over to Toroweap area for a night. I've camped at Toroweap before but haven't explored the area much besides that, so looking forward to seeing what's around.

That sounds great.

Hey how did it go up there Abigail? Also wondering how cold it got? Anyone know when they close the road into N Rim?

Hey how did it go up there Abigail? Also wondering how cold it got? Anyone know when they close the road into N Rim?

My plans are to go up next month.

Looks like October 15th is the day. We went in September, but late September last time. We just about had the whole place to ourselves but cold, yes cold 🥶

Looks like October 15th is the day. We went in September, but late September last time. We just about had the whole place to ourselves but cold, yes cold 🥶

Yay, I love cold camping. I'll be getting in just under the wire.

Well I agree, WAY better than when too hot. Remember that one year earlier in the season at Casner, too hot 🥵. Darlene did not like 18 degrees, didn’t phase me too much.

@Abigail do you have a trip report?

Any must see or must avoid places along the rim?

The North Rim opens next week and I plan to head up there the week before the holiday so I can get some pix of the Super Blood moon over the canyon.

@Abigail do you have a trip report?

Any must see or must avoid places along the rim?

The North Rim opens next week and I plan to head up there the week before the holiday so I can get some pix of the Super Blood moon over the canyon.

I actually had to cut my trip early and duck out after only going to areas near Point Sublime (requires going through the park gate) but @Mattman and @Highway Romping kept going so they may have more of a trip report to provide!

From previous experiences I would recommend hitting Toroweap Overlook area if you've never been there.

From previous experiences I would recommend hitting Toroweap Overlook area if you've never been there.
Never been to the North Rim. Seen it from the South side and looking up from the bottom, but never made the long, long drive to see it up close.

I'll look for Toroweap - Thanks! :cheers:

Never been to the North Rim. Seen it from the South side and looking up from the bottom, but never made the long, long drive to see it up close.

I'll look for Toroweap - Thanks! :cheers:
If you've never been up there before I HIGHLY recommend driving south from Jacob Lake at least as far as the park gate, prettiest part of AZ I've ever seen.

If you've never been up there before I HIGHLY recommend driving south from Jacob Lake at least as far as the park gate, prettiest part of AZ I've ever seen.
I'll enter the park and do all the touristy stuff first on the paved roads. Then I'll see if I can get a pass for the Toroweap campground (long shot) and check out the mud conditions on the remoter roads.

I'm thinking the trip will consist of a lot of wandering around :steer: and making rash decisions, hopefully without getting drowned in mud 😒

I'll enter the park and do all the touristy stuff first on the paved roads. Then I'll see if I can get a pass for the Toroweap campground (long shot) and check out the mud conditions on the remoter roads.

I'm thinking the trip will consist of a lot of wandering around :steer: and making rash decisions, hopefully without getting drowned in mud 😒
Fyi as far as I recall you have to apply for the Toroweap camping permit in advance via fax or mail.

Fyi as far as I recall you have to apply for the Toroweap camping permit in advance via fax or mail.
True dat - but I'm gonna check in at the backcountry office to see if there's been any cancellations.

I did the same thing when I hiked down the South side a few years ago. Waited two days checking in each morning and then got a two night permit. The first night camped at Bright Angel and the next at Indian Gardens. What a grueling hike :eek: that was! Definitely needed at least one more night at the bottom to recover before heading back up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom