Non-Wheeling Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got to Rausch early 11/24. Unloaded the trailer in the staging area, no problem-o. Loaded gear/coolers into the 40, aired down, jumped in and fired up, right? Not quite. All I got was the dreaded ‘click-click’ when turning the key. Hmm...battery (gel cell) is less than a year old, lights are bright, and all the other electricals are working? The truck is an automatic too, so there’s no bump starting. Jeff rapped on the starter a couple of times with a half-inch drive ratchet with no luck.
It had done this at home the previous day, the click-click, and I simply hit the 50 amp switch on the battery charger and it started right up! Unfortunately I couldn’t do that now. Tried to jump it off with cables however some ‘unknown’ person on the other end of the jumpers had reversed the polarity of the jumper cables at Jeff’s 55 (pos on neg). Probably sat like that for a good minute if not longer before it was discovered. Bad ju-ju. No exploding battery, tho.
Corrected the polarity, let sit for several minutes attempting to charge but still nothing.
At this point I’m suspecting either the fusible link, a bad solenoid, or more likely a dead spot on the starter. In my mind I know if I crossed the terminals at the starter solenoid and the truck started, I’d make the mistake of hitting the trail with everyone else with a rig of questionable mechanical/electrical reliability. Not a good way to start the day.
Deciding not to subject others in the group to my electrical issue, I had Jeff drag me to the back of the trailer and we winched the 40 up using the 8274. The winch pulled hard as it always does so I knew it wasn’t a battery issue. Motored home with no problems.
Once in the driveway, I turned on the key in the 40 (still on the trailer), and then crossed the positive pole on the solenoid to the ‘start’ pole with a screwdriver and it started right up.
I went into the house, dug around a little and found the Lifetime Warranty and receipt for the starter (dated 03/01), then called NAPA. They’ll have a new starter and solenoid for me on Monday.
I hope that’s the only electrical problem resulting from yesterday.
Mike in PA

Wow that sucks. Glad you got it figured out. Breakage and cancelations, not a very auspicious start for a little club
Chris

Well, to add to that part of the story about reversed polarity... I remembered I once promised myself I would not let someone else hook up cables for a jump. I prefer to do it myself but oh well, my interior fuses must have toasted when the polarity was reversed but once I turned it off and restarted, everything worked properly... bad ju ju for sure but not catastrophic. Wish you could have wheeled Mike! but next time....

we hit black 6D (really cool potential there), I ran tombstone in the 55 (walked it), then we ran lower snakebite and about 20 yards from completing this section, I ripped the inner sidewall of my 100$ set of 35's.... oh well, that was it for me so we headed home for the day. We ran alot of trail and had a great time, I'll post pics when Dom gets them up somewhere...

ha ha.. as long as Mike has no issues... I didn't thankfully!

here's one from snakebite
normal_IMG_1514.jpg

Well at least you got home. The pig looks better with the big feet anyway. Next time we are up there I want a ride in the 55. :cool:
Chris

Update on the starter issue:
New starter installed and working as designed (it starts the truck). Only issue I have with it is that when I release the key from the 'start' position after it fires up, I hear the starter whirrr-ing down to a stop. Does this every time.
Now keep in mind I have hearing aids in both ears (thank you US Navy) and me hearing anything going on in the engine compartment when sitting in the drivers seat is pretty much a miracle! Anywayz, does anyone know if is this whirr-ing sound normal? It's a Chevy V8 motor and I've probably had 4-5 different starters in this rig over the years and don't ever remember hearing this b4. I'm not overly concerned with this new sound, just curious if anyone has had a similar occruance?
Mike in PA

Mike, does it start it up cleanly? Meaning no harsh sound like teeth on the flywheel spinning/slipping? My 350's starter does not make any noise after the initial rotation of the flywheel.... seems yours may be slightly off on the teeth of the flywheel, maybe try to remove it and reinstall it, see if that fixes it. Just a thought...

Jeff,
Judging from the date of your post, I think I need to get on the list more often.... Anyway, you many be on to something with the engagement of the starter to the flywheel. It many be hanging up for some reason.
Years ago I installed a starter that just never 'sounded' right when it started the truck. It was simply a harsh experience everytime the starter engaged the flex plate.
To solve this problem I purchased and installed an OEM starter bracket which attaches the FRONT of the starter motor to the block, simply for the purpose of supporting the heavy weight of the starter itself. There's actually a boss cast into the block for attaching this bracket and I simply chased the threads clean. Once done, I got a couple starter shims and tried several different combinations of shim thicknesses until it finally 'sounded' right. I may have to dig out that shim pack and do a little experimenting with this new starter.
One thing I didn't mention is that I had to install helicoils in the block for the starter bolts back when I first was completing the motor install. I have no doubt these are still in excellent condition and operating as designed. As soon as we sell my wifes old vehicle, I'll be able to put the 40 back in it's rightful place in the garage, and then I"ll have a solid surface on which to roll around to play with the shims.
Thanks for the idea.
Mike in PA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom