Non "beadlock" style wheel recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I am looking to upgrade rims and it seems that tracking down five Rock Warriors is going to be a pain

Icon Alloys with the Icon lift would make sense but I don't love the "beadlock" look, i prefer something understated

Could anybody else recommend any others?
- Better bead retention than stock would be handy, I re-seated a bead once in a class and not sure I would want to do it in anger

I was looking at Method 701s but browsing through wheel/tyre db and threads I couldn't see any comments on them

Apologies but am an utter newbie on wheels so no idea on offsets etc
- I would like to keep the wheel+tyre inside the wheel-well to "tuck-up" on articulation
- would prefer least amount of trimming (pref not much more than heat gun and pushing) so assuming I need to go with ~33.5 on the diameter max
- Probably Terra Grappler G2s

Stay safe and well everybody

I’d go either Evo Corse or Braid.

I second the vote for Evo Corse wheels. I have the 18x8.5 w/45mm offset. They have a conservative offset which I was looking for so that helped me narrow down my search. They are also Made in italy which is cool. Got mine from mainline overland. They do not come with hub covers so I cleaned up the rear hubs and painted black to match.

31F9FCF4-7107-4848-8682-58156306CFD6.jpeg

5E6CBF16-EF00-4F8E-9D53-2BE1A7AAFCE2.png

I second the vote for Evo Corse wheels. I have the 18x8.5 w/45mm offset. They have a conservative offset which I was looking for so that helped me narrow down my search. They are also Made in italy which is cool. Got mine from mainline overland. They do not come with hub covers so I cleaned up the rear hubs and painted black to match.

View attachment 2264069

View attachment 2264070
Nice. Are those gloss or matte?

They are gloss. Initially wanted the matte black but I got a good deal on them and am happy with how they look. I am running slightly bigger tires at 285/65R18 and when I had the stock front bumper there was a very slight rub on the fender liner. I don’t believe the 285/60r18 stock size would rub.

That looks nice!

How much lift is on your truck? Was it lifted with the stock bumper?

thanks very much!

Thanks! I am happy with how it all came together. Still have the itch to go up in tire size (like a 285/70r18) but don’t want to mess with a good thing as I have zero rub issues and enough clearance around the sway bars and KDSS.

I had the lift installed at the time bumpers went on.
It is the 45mm tough dog adjustable suspension with nitro gear upper control arms. Adds roughly <2” to the front and adds approx 1.5” To the rear. Great setup.

Here is a stock picture with the only the 285/65r18 all terrains and sliders.

FA4B2A27-1F0C-4D31-9D26-1E029D6D64B4.jpeg

Another option that may work for you is the KMC KM717, which are available in a 5x150, 18mm Offset 17" Dia 9" Width. They'll stick out a bit more than the 45mm Offsets shown, but will still tuck. FWIW, lots of folks with Rock Warriors end up running 1.25" spacers, which nets an effective offset of 18.25mm.

I am looking strongly at this wheel the next time I need tires, as I want to go 17" and prefer a non bead lock rim.

I've become an ICON fan. Look at the new vector 5's if you don't want the beadlock look. Great offset and great looking wheel (IMHO).

748a2fba-75f4-4d1b-8b10-945c9bf63a02.jpg

The best way to minimize popping a bead off a rim is to match the tire manufacture’s “measured” tire width to your rim.

Example is you’ll see tires with wording like this:
8-(8.5)-9.5

That means that tire can work on any rim from 8 to 9.5” wide, BUT it works the best on a 8.5” rim.

A 285/70r17 usually likes an 8.5 rim where a 285/75r17 usually likes an 8” rim. So you can’t really go off of general tire widths, but what the manufacture says works best.

I’ve always done everything I can to stay perfectly inline with the tire manufactures spec rim width. On my 200, I put a 295/70r17 on a RW, which that tire wanted a 8.5” rim. I popped a bead on them, first time ever. Now I’m on a tire that wants an 8” rim, back to wheeling just as hard and no issues.

This only matters is you are running 15-20 psi and are off roading/ gettin’ it.

Last edited:
That’s another great looking rig - would you mind sharing size of the BFGs? I can’t see the sidewall in the pic. How much is the truck lifted?

thanks.

Icon or Method all day long.

Icon
D6D4053A-A7E0-4E71-A7B6-8D6E253498D9.jpeg

Method
BE40B567-BF06-42FF-B2D2-763DDE6539A8.jpeg

Hello, I am looking to upgrade rims and it seems that tracking down five Rock Warriors is going to be a pain

Icon Alloys with the Icon lift would make sense but I don't love the "beadlock" look, i prefer something understated

Could anybody else recommend any others?
- Better bead retention than stock would be handy, I re-seated a bead once in a class and not sure I would want to do it in anger

I was looking at Method 701s but browsing through wheel/tyre db and threads I couldn't see any comments on them

Apologies but am an utter newbie on wheels so no idea on offsets etc
- I would like to keep the wheel+tyre inside the wheel-well to "tuck-up" on articulation
- would prefer least amount of trimming (pref not much more than heat gun and pushing) so assuming I need to go with ~33.5 on the diameter max
- Probably Terra Grappler G2s

Stay safe and well everybody

I was like you and did not want the faux beadlock look. I installed the ICON Vector 5s that tincan45 posted above:

IMG_0900.jpg

Toyota makes several non beadlock style 18" and 20" wheels. Many are for Tundra, many other styles on the TLC, but they fit just fine. Typical offsets in the 54 to 60mm range. They take a 25MM (1 inch) spacer excellent to get to a manageable 35mm if you are looking at taller tires.

Another bonus, these are available inexpensively, and you can go whole hog powder and painting to your hearts desire.

Ideally there would be additional 17" options beyond the very few (Evo Corse and Rock Warrior basically) but aside from importing from Middle East 17" steelies there aren't too many.

IMG_3445.JPG

That's the first I've seen those Icon Alloy Vector 5s. Those are perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom