No start after stopping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Codes have been cleared but I haven't gotten around to reading them. Past few days been hectic. Today we went on another foolhardy adventure and got stuck on the road again.

However, we either lucked out massively or my dad chanced upon the solution.

We bought some starter relays (albeit used ones) and that didn't fix anything, the car would start but then would die after 5 minutes or so, or it just wouldn't crank at all.

Well, the fuse box has about 3 or 4 cables running from the bottom side of it that connect into a black board which is connected to the positive battery head. One of those cables was loose at its connection. My dad was just randomly checking stuff and stumbled upon it. He connected it back in, that was the only change he made, and the car ran, got back to operating temperature, and didn't randomly shut off or stutter or even blink for a sec. We were able to get back home without a single hiccup (about 30 minute drive). I have attached pictures below.

View attachment 3058978
Here is a pic of the black box with the cables connected at the bottom. The circled cable was loose and after it was connected the car ran fine(?).

View attachment 3058977
The box itself is pretty beat up. Looks like someone was here before.

View attachment 3058976View attachment 3058975
Is this some sort of fuseable link? I have a very faint recollection that (ALLEGEDLY) this went bad over a decade ago and was causing some pretty nasty issues. Idk tho I was only (more of) a kiddo at the time. This fuse-looking board has clearly been worked on though, that blob of solder(?) is a dead giveaway.

Everything was dusted with a dry brush and sprayed down with some electrical spray that has been very handy and useful over the years. The car ran fine and idled normally after all was cleaned and re-assembled. My dad taped that black box with some duct tape (to minimize dust intrusion).

Thoughts?
This is the fuse box. I replaced mine around 200k miles. Mainly due to that the positive terminal cover is bonded to this part and mine was missing (as a lot of LC100/LX470 are). that is the safety concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom