No SNLC runs? And a BLM story. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bayfield, in the San Juan Mtns. of Colorado
Hi. I way out range for actually attending any but why aren't there any runs on the SNLC website calender? I saw that the GGG was canceled a couple years ago and haven't figured out if there have been any since. Have there? If the problem is BLM, they've always been PITAs see anecdote below, then try working with the Forest service. My dealings with the men in green have been much easier than with BLM.

Back in the seventies we of SNLC did a volunteer work weekend for BLM and built a fence up in Amargosa Dunes to protect the very rare, endangered and native only to Amargosa Scarab Beetle. Later that year we were scouting a site for the GGG about 120 miles south of Amargosa and found this beetle. We scooped it up, put it in a jar and headed off to the BLM office. When we showed it to the staff biologist I thought the guy was gonna have a stroke! "That's a scarab beetle! It's a felony to remove them from Amargosa Dunes!" He could not believe we had collected a very rare, endangered and native only to Amargosa scarab beetle about 30 miles southeast of Jean. We had numbers an witnesses but I think that guy still wanted to arrest us.

Hi. I way out range for actually attending any but why aren't there any runs on the SNLC website calender? I saw that the GGG was canceled a couple years ago and haven't figured out if there have been any since. Have there? If the problem is BLM, they've always been PITAs see anecdote below, then try working with the Forest service. My dealings with the men in green have been much easier than with BLM.

Back in the seventies we of SNLC did a volunteer work weekend for BLM and built a fence up in Amargosa Dunes to protect the very rare, endangered and native only to Amargosa Scarab Beetle. Later that year we were scouting a site for the GGG about 120 miles south of Amargosa and found this beetle. We scooped it up, put it in a jar and headed off to the BLM office. When we showed it to the staff biologist I thought the guy was gonna have a stroke! "That's a scarab beetle! It's a felony to remove them from Amargosa Dunes!" He could not believe we had collected a very rare, endangered and native only to Amargosa scarab beetle about 30 miles southeast of Jean. We had numbers an witnesses but I think that guy still wanted to arrest us.

because I've basically beeen too lazy to post any. but we have been riunning somthing every month..

cool story.

timmer

Back in the early years of SNLC, we had trips that also went to Colorado and elsewhere. So eliminating the GGG because of issues with the BLM seems to be a weak excuse. There are many choices of other areas, including Moab, Canyonlands, Northern Arizona, etc. The last GGG that I got to attend we were in the hills to the NE of the Las Vegas Valley, and had a limit of 50 rigs set by the BLM. It was a great event, and I still remember being envious of Kay and Marv's diesel FJ-45... And I went on this run with only stock mud-n-snow tires, 2" shackle lift, and my carb/header upgrade.

Meeting tonight come and input you ideas for the next few months runs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom