No Cooler camping trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going on a camping trip where I will have no cooler,very few pots and lots of hungry kids. looking for one pot meals based on canned food and rice, pasta etc. Any recipes out there?

canned chili? can warm it up in the can to save dishes and then glob on some rice
got some good one by the dozen at Costco
(not recommended if sharing tent... :D)

ramen cups are handy. Dirt cheap, filling, and no cleaning up.

any number of dehydrated soup and pasta cups. Got some decent ones at Vons for camping.

[for camping I'm going by the motto "cleaning up after oneself is good, no clean up is better"... :) ]

Last edited:
One of my favorite meals is something we invented down at philmont on a trek. Get oatmeal packets (preferably foil lined) and instant hot cocoa and mix it all in the oatmeal packet. Yum yum, chocolate oatmeal!

reevesci---like your idea, what about tossing in a can of mushroom soup for moisture/gravy?
or cream of chicken?
-Jim

reevesci---like your idea, what about tossing in a can of mushroom soup for moisture/gravy?
or cream of chicken?
-Jim

My old scout troop and I would make a chicken dish like Reevsci said, but with cream of mushroom soup, we called it "Funky Chicken"

Bulk foods aisles at many groceries are loaded with dried veggies, and always worth carrying.
Also try stocking up on things that keep, like salami, summer sausage, hard and root veggies, eggs. Living off strictly canned foods can get frustrating fast, especially when most canned veggies can be eaten with a straw.

Combat Chuck said:
Living off strictly canned foods can get frustrating fast, especially when most canned veggies can be eaten with a straw.

Ditto. Eggs don't need to be refrigerated, cheese doesn't as well if you don't mind cutting the moldy bits off. Cheese is usually the one thing you don't get in canned/dehydrated meals.

The tuna in the foil packets works well for a quick, no cook meal too. They now come in a variety of seasonings...add to some pasta or rice and sauce and you're good to go.

Sardines, too.
I'm nuts about those things.

A can of beef stew mixed with a pouch of success rice. Flour tortillas with cheeze. Beans,beans, and beans. I also like the pouches of tuna. I was cooking dinner one night in deer camp when an old Korean vet came by and asked what smelled so good. I told him I was frying spam. He went "yuck, I ate the s--t in the war and I hated it. I made him a spam, lettuce and tomato sandwich, and he said it was the best thing he ever ate!

A can of beef stew mixed with a pouch of success rice. Flour tortillas with cheeze. Beans,beans, and beans. I also like the pouches of tuna. I was cooking dinner one night in deer camp when an old Korean vet came by and asked what smelled so good. I told him I was frying spam. He went "yuck, I ate the s--t in the war and I hated it. I made him a spam, lettuce and tomato sandwich, and he said it was the best thing he ever ate!

An SLT is a tough act to beat.

Not South Lake Tahoe.

nothing beats a big pot of spagetti with parmesian cheese and sliced summer sausage, it was always my kids favorite.

Pintos and pasta is always good (but will take some time to cook the beans down). I like to add bacon to mine which can be precooked at home and bagged for some time if not chilled. The kids like them piled over that multi color rotini, and Herdez salsa on top.

my kids (ages 12, 10, and 8) are fond of quesadillas on camping trips--if you mind the shredded cheese and don't make a mess with it, there's virtually no clean-up required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom