Newly purchased 07 LX470 in Portland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NJ and VA are terrible for rust.
God dammit! Just after finally getting over the four years of the buyers remorse I had for my truck from Tom’s river New Jersey bought sight unseen you had to say that:).

@chrisbusnut don’t sweat it! Your truck looks dope. Spend a few extra bucks when you do repairs by replacing bolts that are crusty/and/or difficult to take off.

my truck squeaked bad. I replaced all front control arms only to discover is was frozen bell crank on e brake. Redid the whole assembly when I swapped my rear brakes...problem solved. Also, sway away tb’s are $200 bucks, can’t beat that price. If your shocks are those strut master ones you can get oem Toyota’s (tokiko) for like 45$ each.

don’t stress it, drive it!

Are you sure the squealing is brakes? It could it be the serpentine belt. I've had them do what you're describing that would explain the smell also. Does it make noise at idle at say 3,000 rpm?

Jim
No noise at idle. Only when moving. That's why I'm thinking it is brake related.

I got the car back on Friday. The brake noise was some metal pieces in or around the parking brake mechanism. Those were cleaned up, and the noise is gone. The burning smell was residual oil/grease burning off of the exhaust (probably from the service I had the seller do before it was picked up by transporter - BTW, my service guy here confirmed that the seller did everything I paid them to do, and used legit parts (no aftermarket)). There were no leaks to speak of. Only real issues, aside from rust and undercoating, were cracked rear rotors. I had those and the rear brake pads replaced, because of the cracks (and the existing parts weren't OEM anyway). The front wheel bearings need to be serviced whenever it's time to replace the front brakes. The freon was low, so they topped that off and added a dye, so if it's leaking (hopefully not), they can figure out from where.

I have the transmission clunk that everyone talks about. Not sure yet what to do about that, as I'm sure not going to start replacing parts that may have nothing to do with it. And then there is a slight "clicking" from the engine at idle, but performance wise it seems fine.

Other than that, and the fact that the mic on my hands free phone connection doesn't seem to work (I created a separate post), the car seems to be great and in great condition. Hopefully as I continue to put miles on it, I'll learn to release the slight rust anxiety and enjoy it. Otherwise, I'll be putting it back on the market, as I generally only keep cars for a few years anyway. I had previously (recently) purchased a 2000 LS400 with 63K miles on it, and when I think about the fact that I could have paid cash for a new 4Runner had I not thrown money at two used Lexi, that gets regret feelings going... :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom