Newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMoMo

That's not rust, it's Canadian patina...
Threads
Posting this here as was reccomended to me from the chit-chat forum...

Hello, My name is Bruce. (you wanna go to a - party? - sorry - Finding Nemo) I am a newbie here, don't have a Cruiser yet but joined here to gather info before my first one. I am looking at two right now, a '76FJ40 and an '82 BJ60. Trying to compare the two and see which one would be better for me. I think I would prefer the BJ but the FJ is in MUCH nicer condition (had a fairly recent frame off)

I currently Have a '99 Taco and an '83 Pickup that was a project that never made it through.

I live near Kingston, Ontario with my Wife and 18month old Son. I am a Marine Electricial and Corrosion Technician - yeah, I'm certified in rusting. I build Aluminum Fire rescue boats for departments all over the world, if you are interested in seeing what I build go to www.metalcraftmarine.com

I am also a welder, and have my own equipment, so guaranteed when I do get my Landcruiser it will have some funkey racks, bars and guards on it. I don't have much off road experiance, especially in a truck, I do have a Honda 350 ATV which I have had knee deep in mud a few times. Last summer I had my Tacoma out in New Brunswick and I did some cool river crossings (tidal) much deeper than I thought - my wife got a bit pissed at me, she didn't think I was going to drive through it!! - she is pretty cool though. She had a 1991 Samurai for a while, so I have played with it in the mud a bit too.

Anyway, anyone that can offer suggestions of what to look at when buying an FJ40 or BJ42 it sure would be appreciated! If you have any Marine Corrosion questions I will do my best to answer them for you!!

Thanks

Bruce

MrMoMo said:
Posting this here as was reccomended to me from the chit-chat forum...

Hello, My name is Bruce. (you wanna go to a - party? - sorry - Finding Nemo) I am a newbie here, don't have a Cruiser yet but joined here to gather info before my first one. I am looking at two right now, a '76FJ40 and an '82 BJ60. Trying to compare the two and see which one would be better for me. I think I would prefer the BJ but the FJ is in MUCH nicer condition (had a fairly recent frame off)

I currently Have a '99 Taco and an '83 Pickup that was a project that never made it through.

I live near Kingston, Ontario with my Wife and 18month old Son. I am a Marine Electricial and Corrosion Technician - yeah, I'm certified in rusting. I build Aluminum Fire rescue boats for departments all over the world, if you are interested in seeing what I build go to www.metalcraftmarine.com

I am also a welder, and have my own equipment, so guaranteed when I do get my Landcruiser it will have some funkey racks, bars and guards on it. I don't have much off road experiance, especially in a truck, I do have a Honda 350 ATV which I have had knee deep in mud a few times. Last summer I had my Tacoma out in New Brunswick and I did some cool river crossings (tidal) much deeper than I thought - my wife got a bit pissed at me, she didn't think I was going to drive through it!! - she is pretty cool though. She had a 1991 Samurai for a while, so I have played with it in the mud a bit too.

Anyway, anyone that can offer suggestions of what to look at when buying an FJ40 or BJ42 it sure would be appreciated! If you have any Marine Corrosion questions I will do my best to answer them for you!!

Thanks

Bruce

I am totaly diesel biased...so pay no attention...:D

Start here, read, click next, and work all the way through: http://www.birfield.com/modules.php?name=TLCFAQ&p=/~ramullen/FAQ/TEXT/20-00.html

You said a BJ42, but above that a BJ60...is that the area you want input?

If you are going to use it for camping and family hauls...get a 60 series...if you can find one with a decent frame and at least body mount areas.

Are you turned off by RHD? There are at least two JDM dealers in Ontario now. Not all are rust free, but at least must better then most in Canada. At least you have something to start with.

If you really want a project that will use your skill, take a look at this as a template: http://www.newcruiser.ca/

hth's, and welcome.

gb

Alot of us are very diesel bias, but why not, think of all the advantages, less maintance (although it cost more when needed) more fuel economy, you also have the option of other fuels. Diesels provode alot more drivable touque then a gas engine, hence why you don't see gasser transport trucks anymore. On top of that and the coolness factor a diesel will out last a gas truck everytime, hands down!

Sure toyota gas engines are great if not the best, but gas is such a drag. JMO

I personnaly would talk to Crushers or Ishobie they both have import businesses bringing rust free, low KM LC's into canada, The amount of money I have into my slightly rusty CDN spec with 270 000km's I could have almost had a newer model, less KM's with no rust at all. Bottom line people want way to much for there s*** around Ontario, you might as well get a newer truck, if it is gonna cost almost the same.

This international tech fourm is a great reasorce, and no matter what you decided everyone is very helpful!!

I like the BJ60,

the Fj40 is a cool truck too.

If you don't mind welding and repairing then its easy. The BJ60 has a nice amount of space and it real thrifty on fuel going on a trip.

If you read many post on here, lots of guys are trying to switch to diesel. So IMOP I would just start off with one.

The Japan Imports(JDM) are nice, they are RHD. But if you get a decent deal on a Canadian model(CDM), that is fine too. They are worth saving and rebuilding, ALWAYS!

The important thing in finding a CDM is look at the frame, ensure it is decent. Some rust at the back can be fixed.

Also spend some good time looking around at it. But hey its all fixable with some metal and a welder.

Front fenders are cheap, quater panels at the back can be cut out and new metal in,

have a look at this thread, I have not updated in a bit, but not so much progress has happened.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=52541&highlight=BJ60+repainted

oops, I meant BJ42 - sorry 'bout that.... I like the idea of having a diesel, also because the 'mericans are always drooling over them.... How hard is it to convert an FJ to a BJ?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom