Newbie - Wheel Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2006 Lexus GX 470
Another "newbie" question
Want to take off stock wheels and put on simple black wheels like BlackRocks.
Wheel size 17"
Bolt Pattern - 6x5.5
When I go to websites and find wheels that I like....that match up perfectly with bolt pattern, etc.....when I enter my vehicle the website will say "these wheels don't match your vehicle". What am I missing? I will be running stock tires 265 / 65 /17

I went to a local tire dealer and discussed with him. He told me if the bolt pattern matches I should be fine....and to make sure I order proper lug nuts as well
One other note....I get the stock wheels have a +25 offset, wheels I like have a 0 offset or -12 offset.

Help me out....thoughts...

Hub/Center bore of the wheel could be different. If the hub bore of the wheel is too small, it obviously won't mount at all. If it's too large you'll need to get centering rings that match the GX hub size to ensure the wheel mounts properly.

Depending on the website, they may just have some control that doesn't like the change in offset so they show you that message.

I would suggest a 0 offset and not a -12 offset. Zero offset will give you about 1/2" of tire poke past the fenders, which looks great. The -12 will give you a full 1" of poke, which will throw rocks/dirt/etc all down the side of your rig and cause more issues with tire rub when turning (since the turn radius of the wheel is larger). Some folks do like the negative offset look, however.

Also you could contact the manufacturer of the wheels directly to confirm if they will fit.

Hub/Center bore of the wheel could be different. If the hub bore of the wheel is too small, it obviously won't mount at all. If it's too large you'll need to get centering rings that match the GX hub size to ensure the wheel mounts properly.

Depending on the website, they may just have some control that doesn't like the change in offset so they show you that message.

To add on to this, most Toyota hub bores (including the 470) are 106.1mm. Basically, nearly everything that's 17 inch, is 6x139.7, has an offset between +10 to -25 and has a 106.1 hub bore will fit and/or was made for Toyota. Obviously there are outliers and you should definitely confirm the exact wheel before purchasing, but wheels for Toyota (due to Tacoma/4Runner) are super ubiquitous.

One more dumb question....I understand the hub is 106.1 and that centering rings are not the best option. Wheels that I am looking at have a center bore of 108.71 or 112.1

Will the above center bore diameters work without centering rings?.......I really like the wheels with the 112.1 center.

One more dumb question....I understand the hub is 106.1 and that centering rings are not the best option. Wheels that I am looking at have a center bore of 108.71 or 112.1

Will the above center bore diameters work without centering rings?.......I really like the wheels with the 112.1 center.
Centering rings should be fine unless there is some truck/off road specific reason not to use them that I don't know about. It is one more thing that mud and crap can get caked into. I'd suggest plastic rings unless you are getting your brakes hot enough to melt the plastic, which is normally a track car problem. Metal rings don't melt but need to be checked to make sure they aren't sticking to hubs/wheels. That's easy enough to do every tire rotation but plastic is easier unless you cook your brakes.

Centering rings should be fine unless there is some truck/off road specific reason not to use them that I don't know about. It is one more thing that mud and crap can get caked into. I'd suggest plastic rings unless you are getting your brakes hot enough to melt the plastic, which is normally a track car problem. Metal rings don't melt but need to be checked to make sure they aren't sticking to hubs/wheels. That's easy enough to do every tire rotation but plastic is easier unless you cook your brakes.

Thank you for reminding me of the time I spent several hours scraping bits of melted centering ring off my brake rotors. Autoclub speedway in Fontana is not kind to your brakes.

Anyways, yeah there isn't any reason not to use centering rings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom