newbie model comparisons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all; Happy Holidays. New to the forum and would like some advise. Have been a LC fan for many years, and am finally seriously considering taking the plunge. I have some questions I'd like to post to you experts.
I know the LC is pretty much at the top of the heap, but for all but a small percentage of needs, I'm wondering if another vehicle would suffice. I'd like to think the LC is one of the few over-engineered vehicles out there (certainly of high appeal to me) and will likely last longer and take more than I'm ever going to need, but am thinking the 4-Runner is about 90% the vehicle (for all but the most hardcore offload use(?)) at half the cost. Am I inline here or am I missing something? Also, what about the GX460 - is this more Land Cruiser or 4-Runner (chassis, quality, capability, etc)?
Really appreciate the input.
Joe

Hey i was searching the general threads and i feel like this question needs an answer. As far as a LC vs a 4runner, the 4runner 4th gen and on is a LC. Its based on the LC prado frame as is the gx line. I have a LC 100 and it is great but depending on the terrain im not sure its behemoth weight can really compare to the lighter 4runners. I wanted a Land cruiser mostly because its bigger and comes standard with a lot of very luxurious options but if your talking about strictly off road capability i believe the 4runner actually has an edge. The "over engineering" of these vehicles does allow them to endure more punishment and last longer but it also means that you will need to shell out the cash when parts need to be replaced. Anywho good luck on your search.

Hey i was searching the general threads and i feel like this question needs an answer. As far as a LC vs a 4runner, the 4runner 4th gen and on is a LC. Its based on the LC prado frame as is the gx line. I have a LC 100 and it is great but depending on the terrain im not sure its behemoth weight can really compare to the lighter 4runners. I wanted a Land cruiser mostly because its bigger and comes standard with a lot of very luxurious options but if your talking about strictly off road capability i believe the 4runner actually has an edge. The "over engineering" of these vehicles does allow them to endure more punishment and last longer but it also means that you will need to shell out the cash when parts need to be replaced. Anywho good luck on your search.
I really appreciate your reply. I'm a fan of the 100 series but just can't believe how the market is exploding! Current LC just too big & pricey for my needs; the 4runner seems like a good choice - I'll honestly be more on-road than off. Need to take one for a test drive. Thanks again for responding

Not really sure, as I haven't been looking at 4runners very closely. Seems like the ones a few years old aren't much less expensive than new ones, so.....

So everything before 2003 is based on the toyota Hilux (tacoma) frame and 2003 and up are based on a landcruiser prado. What we can derive from this information is that the pre 2003 are more simple to work on while the post 2003 have much better road manners. As far as capability I dont think that one is necessarily more capable than another however there are trims that alot locking differentials so keep an eye our for those. My gut sort of always leans toward the older ones anyway although you will have to surrender power.

So everything before 2003 is based on the toyota Hilux (tacoma) frame and 2003 and up are based on a landcruiser prado. What we can derive from this information is that the pre 2003 are more simple to work on while the post 2003 have much better road manners. As far as capability I dont think that one is necessarily more capable than another however there are trims that alot locking differentials so keep an eye our for those. My gut sort of always leans toward the older ones anyway although you will have to surrender power.
Interesting. Good to know. I'll likely go with the newer, for better road manners, etc.
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom