Land Rover New to MUD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While I like Land Cruisers and was looking for one, I couldn’t pass up a ‘98 Land Rover D1 for $500. The engine is in great shape with 130K miles, and it is all stock…a blank canvas for turning into my off-road in-the-sticks chariot. A LC 80 Series may be in my future, but right now I am going to enjoy my 98LRD.

CBEDEFD4-878D-49FD-A249-2BF7EC9A13BA.jpeg

Congratulations! That must have been a friend or family discount!

Congratulations! That must have been a friend or family discount!
Believe it or not…no. I bought it from a retired attorney. It had sat outside quite a while after he stopped driving it. The battery was dead, the tires were dry rotted, and water was getting in through deteriorated sunroof gaskets. The shifter had rusted in place. I put a new battery in it, checked the fluids, and then disassembled the center console to free the shifter. It turned over and quickly started. I drove it a little and knew I could work with it. I offered $500, knowing I have some rust under the carpet to deal with. He wanted quite a bit more ($2,500) but his wife told him to let me have it for that!

Wow, that’s a fantastic deal. You can’t go wrong for that price. That’s a great foundation for a cool off-road worthy build.

Wow, that’s a fantastic deal. You can’t go wrong for that price. That’s a great foundation for a cool off-road worthy build.
Thanks! I removed the interior, except for the driver seat and dash/instrument panel. The driver and passenger front floor pans require small areas to be replaced (rusted out). And there are a few places in the rear where water-soaked floor padding caused rust. I think I just need to wire brush or grind it out, prime and paint to fix it (not rusted through). Windows and sunroofs need to be pulled and gaskets replaced to stop the water coming in. I think a paint job is in order when I do that…My wife drove the LRD (in its present state!) and loves it! She said it needs a paint job, though. “Okay, Dear. I agree.” LOL

I owned a 1997 D90 for several years before selling it to a buddy. I have a lot of great memories of that truck. We called it the ice cream truck because we’d use it to take the kids to get ice cream in the summer. I always ran the soft top; usually with the windows zipped out and the door tops off.

I don’t know much about Disco’s but remember seeing them a lot more than defenders and I know they did well off road and got good reviews.

Try to take lots of pics to document your restoration and build. Sounds like its going to be extensive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom