New to Forum - need some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been following the GX470 phenomenon for some time and started looking for one of my own. My intent is to have it for a daily driver, camping, light/moderate off roading and all around capable family road trip vehicle. I have seen allot of cars during that time (online) and have now gone out an driven a few (standard and lifted). A local 2009 GX470 popped up at local SoCal (Orange County) dealership and I immediately drove over to look at it (pictures had not even been posted). Black paint, grey interior, nav with 39,000 miles on it. Looks new both outside, underneath/ while on the lift, and inside. Service records every 5,000 miles since new at that same dealership AND originally purchased there. Service was evenly spaced with about 3,500 miles per year consistently. Had the car inspected by a ASE Certified Master Mechanic and all looked great. The only concern from the report that has me hung up is that he discovered rear left quarter panel had been painted (detected by sonar) with indication of body filler in a “grapefruit” sized area between the gas fill and tail light. Also, the tailgate had been pained. “No structural damage and all paintwork meets industry quality standards with excellent uniformity” with good panel alignment. QUESTION 1: Would a repainted left rear quarter panel with a “grapefruit” sized area of body filler be an automatic no deal? Again, frame was fully inspected and axels measured with no movement. Question 2: would you replace the timing belt and water pump based on time alone (even if only 39,000 miles. Thanks!

I had a baseball hit my old car once. Damage was about what your describing. I had it repaired at a shop I was working at and they did a great job. Once it was done, you'd never notice. I owned the car for about 5 more years and I rarely remembered it ever got body work done.

I would take a pristine car with 39k miles and minimal paint work over a car with original paint and 80k miles that was in decent condition.

With that said, I expect my lexus to get beat up. I drive it on trails, get scratches, dent things, etc. If it was my 99' Alpine White BMW M3, that I regularly wash and wax and vacuum and detail, I would want all original paint. Unfortunately the mom arguing with her daughter over the radio who drifted into my car took that choice from me after owning the car for 15 years, but to the point, it's a different experience and expectation.

If you're comfortable driving off road in the GX, I wouldn't stress over some body work if it was done right.

Great feedback and thank you for the reply. I received the same advice/perspective across the board and just needed to get out of my own way on this one. I pick her up first thing in the morning!

Congrats!

Post some pictures when you bring her home. Black with any interior other than tan was my goal while I was searching. I ended up with black and tan though.

34AE8404-49E2-40D2-972C-7182D4D170CE.jpeg
730038AC-0F9A-4B04-B997-A9441A4B5533.jpeg
0FA98C09-ECE7-494D-9D01-7770D83DA122.jpeg
67193CE2-7A5A-4C50-AB1E-A3CDCADF9AC1.jpeg

Sweet find! You beat me and my 07 I got with 77k on it. Plus that is a sweet color combo. I had the TB/WP done immediately. It’s not just mileage but age and only up to 04 (I think) is “safe” to maybe wait on the tb. One less thing to worry about for ~90k miles.....

Looks pretty new

Sweet find! You beat me and my 07 I got with 77k on it. Plus that is a sweet color combo. I had the TB/WP done immediately. It’s not just mileage but age and only up to 04 (I think) is “safe” to maybe wait on the tb. One less thing to worry about for ~90k miles.....

Thanks! If I have learned anything on this site it is TB/WP at 90k or #of years. Brought it home (11miles) and taking an inventory of any small fixes, then right back to the dealership for TB/WP!

Great looking GX! Just a suggestion take it how you want, but I think you could do the TB/WP your self and save hundreds which you could in turn use for mods or other maint.... there is so much useful info out there as well as videos to guide you. I had never done one but when I bought my GX it needed TB/WP so I gathered a bunch of info and a buddy and we did it leisurely in his garage in right around 5 hours for something like $300 total

Or buy the kit yourself and find an independent mechanic to install. Total under $500.

Tanaman and HomersCanyoner - Thank you both for chiming in and the tips. I like the clear savings and probably the same result. Money aside, is there value (or some piece of mind) in having it done by a Lexus certified master mechanic (warranty, experience, etc) - or am I giving them too much credit.

I’ve had great luck finding honest, great and fair priced independent mechanics who work with me on explaining repairs and options. So, I only go to the dealer for recalls/warranty work, sale on oil changes with AAA 40-point inspections, or specific repairs that I might be having trouble diagnosing. So, not too often!

Here’s an interesting article on the topic:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom