New rear rotor scraping on backing plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Started doing an overhaul on the rear brakes of the truck yesterday, mainly prompted by my inop rear parking brake due to locked up bellcranks (NE rusty rig). Planning on replacing the bellcranks, all the handbrake hardware, shoes, rotors and pads.

I got everything off of one side, and went to test fit the new rotor before reinstalling all the parking brake gear, but noticed that when sitting flush the new rotor seems to scrape lightly on the backing plate of the parking brake. Not bad enough to fetch anything up, but I'd probably notice a noise until it self clearances. The backing plate doesn't seem too rusty itself, but the old rusty rotor does not scrape on it.

Halfway through the job I realized that the new bellcranks were not in the same box as all the rest of the stuff, so I threw the old stuff back on for now with no parking brake on one side. I'm probably gonna take a wire brush to the plate and see if that helps, but curious if anyone else has run into this.

Also, the other rotor is pretty well locked on. I turned the adjuster down, but this bellcrank appears to be locked in the engaged position, so I suspect I have a serious groove worn in the drum housing. Any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

These are powerstop rotors by the way.

I had similar issue on one side but not the other. I resolved it by just slightly bending the backing plate by hand.

My rotor was hitting the backing plate on the driver side when turning right, this was after new rotors. I bent the plate a little, all's quite now.

Yeah, I ended up doing the same, all good now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom