new motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for opinions so lets hear them.
My f motor in my 72 cruiser is knocking slightly sounds like the lower end but I haven't put any time into figuring it out yet.
My feeling is that I don't really like this motor much it's got almost 300k on it and although it is running fine now I'm not sure how much longer it will last. I really don't want to put anymore money into this motor.
I like the idea of a 4.3 Chevy tbi swap out of something from the late 80's early 90's. With the sm420 I already have in there it sounds like I just need a couple mounts an exhaust and go.
In the end the 4.3 wont have gobs of power but they are cheep have decent power and parts are really cheep unlike the toyota motors.
What sounds like a better move fix the f or put an tbi motor in.

It depends on how important staying oem is to you. From a value perspective, your cruiser would be worth more if it had an F or 2F in it as opposed to a chevy. Replacement motors can be had for reasonable $ if you shop MUD and talk to vendors. If you were to go non-oem I would consider a V8 in addition to the 4.3.

Used and serviced 2F motors sell for $1000-$2000 on SOR.

I find the 2F in my 40 to be plenty of motor for both wheeling and highway. The header and exhaust help to get the most out of the motor and it has roughly 160 hp and 225 torque, more or less.

Randy

I'm not concerned with original that is why I want to go with an tbi motor.
Cost is the biggest drive right now. tbi motors are cheep to buy and cheep to work on. I feel that I can do the swap and it still be cheeper than getting another cruiser motor, although if there is a good 2f around for cheep I would consider that but I havn't found any that I consider cheep. SOR seems a little steep for what you age getting esp when you figure in shipping I might be wrong here.

I don't need any adapters it all bolts to my sm420 all I have to do is fab motor mounts and a transfer mount. I'm concerned that the extra power of a v8 might be a little to much with my driving style. Although I've learned a little finesse thought the years my thought was the v6 might save me me some broken parts.

I had a 350 in my 1980 FJ40 and I drive like an A-hole all the time. I beat the hell out of it and never had any problems with broken parts. Any parts needed could be bought at AutoZone for cheap anyways. The lower gears don't let you get in much trouble on the street with the added power.

I am very interested in the 4 cyl diesel engines from cummins. Seems like a fun alternative.

I think you will get the most for your money from an SBC swap. When it was running, my 350 powered FJ was extremely powerful. The 4.3 is another good idea. It's a 350 minus two cylinders.

As far as motor mounts I am getting the Bob Firestein mounts for mine shortly as soon as the guy making them has another batch made up. Hopefully I will be mocking up the engine in the next couple months if that will help to choose mounts. They are supposed to bolt in. I'm kind building this thing from scratch so I'm not really too worried about originality.

I'm concerned that the extra power of a v8 might be a little to much with my driving style. Although I've learned a little finesse thought the years my thought was the v6 might save me me some broken parts.

I think this is the key! I've seen Crusier72 drive and break his old Runner multiple times. I think the 4.3 would be just fine. ;) Used to have one in a work truck that would light up the tires in at least 3 of the gears in the 5sp. 4.3 motors do NOT lack for power IMHO. Of course a 4.3 will never sound as cool as a V8 but that's another arguement entirely. :)

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom